What Do I Need to Know Before Getting Porcelain Veneers?

What is the upside and downside of veneers that I should know before spending money on them?

What Should I Know Before Getting Veneers?

+1

Porcelain veneers are an excellent way to improve your smile and your self esteem . They are thin shells of porcelain that are bonded to the enamel of your teeth.   There are several things to know before pulling the trigger though.  First, do your homework before choosing a dentist to do the procedure.  Choose a dentist that has extensive training from a world renown cosmetic institution.  Have a consult done and ask to see before/after pictures of their work, not stock photography.  In addition, if your teeth are just slightly discolored perhaps your could whiten your teeth.  You need to know that once you have veneers you will always have veneers.  Like any cosmetic procedure they can be costly, but in my opinion well worth it! 

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers

+1

Porcelain veneers are a great option for esthetic results on front teeth.  The desired shape, size, and shade of teeth can be achieved with veneers.  However, there are some precautions that should be taken when wearing veneers.  Keep in mind that veneers are made of ceramic.  They are not meant to handle heavy biting forces.  Be careful not to bite into hard foods.  Also, veneers can cause the opposing lower natural teeth to wear away, especially if the patient grinds their teeth.  To prevent the wearing of the lower front teeth, a nightguard should be worn.  The nightguard would also protect the veneers.  Lastly, it is very  important to practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing twice a day.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian.

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers?

+1

What you need to know is why do you want/need them, what are all your options, and is your dentist a cosmetically trained dentist?  While everyone says they are a cosmetic dentist, few have the training to do it.  I would look up your dentist’s qualifications and ask to see a smile gallery of THEIR work.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

What you need to know about Porcelain Veneers

+1

Getting porcelain veneers can make remarkable changes to one's appearance but there are factors that you need to consider.

• How experienced in cosmetic dentistry is the dentist you are going to see.
  • How experienced is the dental laboratory that the dentist will use.  There are certain dental labs that deal with a lot of cosmetic cases.  Creating the ideal natural looking veneers require a great deal of art from the lab technicians.
  • What type of porcelain will be used.
  • Ask for before and after photos.
  • If the price is too low I would be very careful.   Typically high end veneers will each cost $1,200-$2,000   depending on where you live.

Dan Haas, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

General information on porcelain veneers

+1

Porcelain veneers can provide a completely improved smile in just a few appointments. Before getting veneers, it is important that you consider a few things. If you are interested in bleaching, now is the time to do it. Porcelain veneers will not change color. You should also start to consider what you are looking to enhance. Do you want to change the shape or size of your teeth? Do you want your teeth straighter? I ask many questions to help each patient express what they are looking for in their new smile.

Regardless of which porcelain veneer treatment is right for you-conventional, Lumineers or DURAthin veneers, or a combination of any of these, the most important choice is which dentist performs your smile makeover.  Make sure she/he has had extensive training in cosmetic enhancements. The number of pre-operative visits to work out details to ensure predictable results depends on the complexity of your situation and the changes you desire. 

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers

+1

I have been placing veneers for 23 years and have them in my own mouth for 11 years. I see no negatives. With today's technology such as iTero digital impressions and Empress brand porcelain, they can last a lifetime. HOWEVER, go to a doc who does them every week in his office and has tons of before and after pix to show you as well as a list of patients who have given him permission to actually have you look at their veneers in person.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

What questions to ask your dentist

+1

When considering why you want porcelain veneers, you need to ask yourself why you want them.  Are your teeth straight but just dark?  Maybe deep bleaching or no prep veneers may be a good choice.  Are your teeth crooked but nicely shaped?  Maybe Invisalign with bleaching might be a good choice.  Are your teeth crooked broken down and dark?  Probably traditional prep veneers.  It your budget limited?  Maybe Lumineers since they are usually less costly.  Lot's of questions to ask your dentist.

Tom Hedge, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist