Pros and Cons About Acculift?

I have never heard of this. Is this better than buccal fat removal. I understand that additional procedures might be necessary if you have an acculift? I am getting afraid of having either one. Not realizing what I might be getting my self in to.

Acculift vs Buccal Fat Pad Removal vs Facelift

+1

Pictures would be helpful to determine what is necessary.  More traditional procedures actually remove a portion of this buccal fat pad.  Facelift will help address loose tissues and resuspend them.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

More Cons than Pros with Acculift for facial rejeuvenation

+1

Acculift probably not the best option for those in their 70's and older
No the Acculift does not replace the need for fillers or face lifting procedures. It is NOT a breakthrough procedure, rather using existing technology a small amount of local anesthesia to numb the treatment areas followed by 1 to 2 mm openings. Through these  openings, a  laser removes fat  (laser lipolysis - several companies offer machines that do this) and there is some limited  tightening of the skin due in part to heat generated. This has a diminished return on those with poor elasticity typically seen in older patients.It is not used on deeper fat pads such as the buccal fat. Unfortunately as we age we loose fat which is why Fillers are so popular. Why would you want to remove fat unless it was required?? This is especially true for men and women in their late 60's and beyond.
Does it replace the need (or reduce it) for cosmetic fillers? - no it reduces volume does not replace it. I would think at best this technology would be used as an adjunct to existing techniques and that there is probably independent risk in using this technique

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Are fancy named facelifts any good?

+1

I don't think there is any substitute for a well performed facelift. The advertising and the trick name don't make it any better.See my video

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Pros and Cons About Acculift?

+1

The Acculift appears to use a thin flexible probe that's inserted under the skin into the fatty tissue layers.  Radio frequency then delivers energy that melts the fat...ok, so far so good.  The limitations of this procedure are similar to suspension type Face Lifts and include:

1. Lack of real control of how much fat is removed and the danger of too much heat causing burns of the skin.
  2. The underlying SMAS muscle layer can't be dissected, elevated and trimmed as it would be in a minimal incision Face Lift like our "Celebrity Facelift" and as such would have no real and lasting ability to lift the tissues of the face.
  3. There are no incisions around the ear and as such no excess skin can be removed as it should be with any version of a "real" Facelift IMHO.

I have performed Face Lifts for 25 years and this appears to be more marketing hype than a Face Lift IMO.  

Buccal fat removal is now out of favor. Acculift photos are not very impressive.

+1

With the newer understanding of facial aging at the fat level, buccal fat removal is seldom justified.  While it may help a younger patient, as they age the face will have had fat removed in an area the later does usually need it. The patient may actually appear older at an earlier age.

Regarding the Acculift, I reviewed their photos and the patients have results that show residual neck bands, poor cervical facial defining lines, and could have been done much more elegantly with a more through surgical approach.  As most things in life, you get back what you put into any process.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon