How to Choose the Right Liposuction Method?

32, male, muscular (linebacker esque) build, good health overall, about 14% body fat. I have layer of fat on the shanks and the front, thicker abs have made the look worse as it basically pushes the stomach outward a little and gives waistline the square look. i know of a few lipo techniques but the advice I receive tends to align with their practice more than my situation it seems. i'd like some thoughts. looking for low downtime option but effective too (and an honest Dr.)

The Doc with the most experience will tell you what is best for you.

+2

All methods of liposuction can have great results but it is the doc who has the most experience and who knows about all the different methods which will be the one to choose. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction technology is not that important

+1

Thank you for the question.  In my opinion the type of liposuction is not that important.  Tumescent liposuction is going to provide the least amount of bruising.  A compression garment will be needed and beneficial afterwards.  One other issue to consider is whether your abdominal fat is inside the abdomen or above the muscle.  Liposuction will only address the fat that is above the muscle.

All the bests,

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Which liposuction technique is best?

+1

In the right hands, any liposuction technique can be successful.  The assisted techniques such as ultrasound, Vaser, or Smart (Laser assist) lipo are usually reserved for difficult areas like the back or areas that need skin tightening such as the neck.  I personally use the Smart Lipo Triplex and have has excellent results with it.  The important thing is to go to someone Board Certified with a lot of experience.  

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Liposuction results depends on training and experience and not machine or technique

+1

As you speak to a person that does liposuction you will get the answer that their technique is the best because this is what they know.  Beware that new marketing and expensive lasers have not shown to improve results.  It is the experience and training of the surgeon that creates the results and not the machine.  You will find more non plastic surgeons that have purchased the new machines and are trying to sell the new forms of liposuction.  If the doctor is doing liposuction for the first time with the new machine I would go else where.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

If the abdominal fat is pushing out the abdomen and this fat is above the muscular wall then you would be a candidate but if it is omental fat, the fat that surrounds the intestinal tract, liposuction would not be able to reduce the forward protrusion of the belly. You might schedule a consultation with Dr. William Hanke, Jr.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction Type Does Matter

+1

When men need liposuction, i feel very strongly that the type of liposuction you have can significantly improve your results.  Men have very dense tissue on the abdomen and flanks, and traditional (or Tumescent) liposuction is often not enough to get the best result.  Today, some type of additional energy such as ultrasound, vaser, or smart lipo to break through the fibrous tissue and allow a better reduction of fat is the best answer for men.  I remain an advocate of Ultrasound, but as the other answers mention, you should pick the surgeon based on recommendations, board certification, and results (especially of people you know) as well.  Then be sure he or she specializes in liposuction procedures.  Good luck.

Michael R. Schwartz, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the "right doctor" for liposuction.

+1

Choose the surgeon who is experienced and gets excellent results, not the machine. The different types of machines make no difference in the final result or downtime. 

Choosing liposuction surgeon more important than choosing technique.

+1

There is so much marketing that goes on with lipo these days that it has become very difficult for people to sort through it and make an informed decision. All techniques have minimal recovery time so don't base your decision on that. All techniques can be done under local (tumescent) anesthesia, so again don't be misled by that. Laser and VASER (ultrasound) are helpful in some cases but not magic. It comes down to finding an experienced surgeon (lipo is surgery) that you trust.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction and techniques

+1

You are correct, the technique recommended is usually the one the doctor feels the most comfortable with.  Traditional liposuction is the safest with the lowest complication rate.  I have used almost all of them, and can get reasonable results with them all. I think it is not the wand but the magician waving the wand that creates the magic.

You should ask how to choose the right surgeon and not the tool

+1

You should choose the right board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in male liposuction. Remember that laser lipo, ultrasound lipo, VASER liposelection, water jet lipo, etc., these are tools available to the plastic surgeon. There's no proof in the literature that one is superior to another.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon