Proper Incision Placement for Chin Augmentation and Neck Lipo?

I recently had a consult for a chin implant and neck lipo - I'm 48 and am 5'5". The surgeon said there'd be a small incision just under the chin (this sounds totally normal) but also two incisions on either side of my neck about halfway down for the lipo. Nothing I've read mentions this type of prominent placement and I really don't want a thinner neck at the price of such scars! Is he just inexperienced or not using the latest techniques? My research mentions incisions behind the ears?

Incision placement for neck lipo and chin augmentation

+1

Neck liposuction alone would be insufficient for a neck of this size.  There is much excess fat in the subplatysmal and submental space and both are best addressed with a neck lift.  The neck lift involves a two inch incision underneath the chin and two one-half inch incisions directly behind the ears in the skinfold.  All 3 incisions heal inconspicuously.  We perform this under general anesthesia and patients will have two drains placed underneath the skin in the neck left for 2 days to drain the blood and fluid out from the area.  The chin implant is placed through the same submental incision as the neck lift and is placed directly over the mandible to give more chin projection.  Implants come in multiple different sizes, such as small, medium, large, and extra large and then come in several different shapes.  We use the Implantech brand of chin implants and have had very consistent results with them for many years.  

Incisions for Chin Implant Placement & Neck Liposuction

+1

I typically use an incision in the crease under the chin for chin implant placemen. For neck liposuction I use this same incision and when necessary an incision behind the ear lobes. I have never seen the need for other incisions lower on the neck, but clarify with your surgeon exactly where his incisions will be made. 

Incisions

+1

I typically utilize an incision under the chin for the chin implant as far as neck liposuction I more often use the same incision. You have a thick neck .

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Neck lipo

+1

For the chin implant you have the option of incision under the chin in the crease, and liposuction can be done through that. For the lipo of the neck I add an incision at the junction of the ear lobe and the neck.

Chin implant and neck liposuction scar placement

+1

The Incision placement for chin implant placement is usually under the chin or inside the mouth.

Liposuction is usually done through an incision under the chin and depending on the extent of removal additional access incisions are placed behind the ears (to hide them).

It's not necessarily wrong to place them further down on the neck, though it isn't necessarily a common location. You should ask the surgeon about this to get more information.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Incisions for Neck Liposuction

+1

As a general approach, the incisions for more complete neck liposuction are directly under the neck and behind the ears. The choice of placing these small incisions behind the ears is for scar camouflage, not necessarily because it is the best place to access the part of the neck that is not ideally reached from the submental incision. While it is not a common method, it is obviously your surgeon's technique and presumably this gives him/her the best result by so doing. Liposuction incisions are very small and are not usually a cosmetic issue. While direct neck incisions may not be my method for neck defatting, it is not wrong to do so. I would discuss your scars concerns with your surgeon and come to a mutually agreeable decision as to how best to treatment your heavy neck.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD