Propecia After Hair Transplant Normal?

After you have a hair transplant, is it common to for the patient to start taking propecia to continue his hair growth ? When I showed my Dr my lack of hair growth a few years later he blamed me for not taking propecia. He never told me this at the time. Is this a common practice.

Propecia after hair transplantation

+2

Propecia after hair transplantation is a good idea. While the transplanted hair should continue to grow, existing hair in the same region that was pre-programmed to fall out may, giving one the appearance that their transplanted hair has not grown. Often, by checking pre- and post-op photos, you can see that it was the existing hair that fell out. Propecia can definitely help to prevent this problem. It should be common practice, though not all patients will comply.

Latham Plastic Surgeon

Propecia & Transplant

+1
Propecia is used to slow down loss of existing hair.  It will not affect your transplanted hair but definitely can help prevent ongoing thinning.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Propecia often but not always used.

+1

Propecia should enhance hjair growth, with or without transplant. The uncertainty with respect to potential side effects, causes many surgeons to hesitate prescribing it.

Tjhere will be a large meeting  propecia in October 2012. Hopefully more of a consensus will be obtained then.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Propecia and Hair Transplant Surgery

+1

Propecia is recommended after transplant surgery.  It helps reduce the undesirable form of testosterone that is associated with hair loss.  Propecia does have side effects including decreased libido and breast enlargement.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Taking Propecia After Hair Transplant

+1

Many doctors prescribe Propecia for part of the treatment post-hair transplant. However, in my opinion, not taking it is not a direct reason for poor yield after the procedure. A good hair transplant should still yield substantial new growth. Propecia is usually prescribed to help enhance the new growth, and to help stave off further progression of pattern baldness.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Propecia after Hair Transplants

+1

I have patients who used Propecia  before, during, and after hair replacement surgery whether I used hair transplants or the Fleming/Mayer Flap.

Propecia After Hair Transplant?

+1

Although propecia is recommended after hair transplant, lack of density is not due to not using it. If, you still have hair in the donor site, then you should have them in the recipient site too.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Propecia is for preventing hair loss in the CROWN.

+1

I have my patients all use propecia to prevent crown hair loss and many patients regrow hair in the crown! No other product my patients and I have used will grow cosmetically significant hair!