Generic Version of Propecia Okay? How Long Can I Go Without Taking it?

hi ive been taking finesteride tablets which is a generic version of propecia, my pharmacist says its the same thing but cheaper and i just quarter the tablet to get my dosage. i was wondering if that is okay?. another question. how long can i go without taking this medication for it to not affect my hair?. i just ran out of tablets and its been close to a week. im due to get my script now! im just paranoid that my dedication is going down the drain!

Generic Finasteride

+1

My understanding is that Propecia comes off patent officially in November 2014.  In the meantime, rumor has it that Merck allowed one overseas company to distribute  Finasteride 1mg.  Some people have questioned the quality of the generic however, but I am not familiar with any scientific tests.

Dr John E Frank, MD

Saving Money on Finasteride with Generic Pill

+1

Taking generic Proscar and quartering the pill down to about 1mg is actually something that many physicians recommend for those who cannot afford a Propecia prescription.

Web reference: http://hairpeacefoundation.org/2012/01/13/non-surgical-hair-restoration-propecia/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Generic Propecia

+1

What you are doing with finasteride is generally considered "ok" by many.  Propecia will be available in its generic form in the USA starting in January, 2013.  Being off your finasteride for one week is fine, but get that refill as soon as is possible. Keep up your dedication.  When this medical regimen does not seem to be keeping up with your hair loss, please make an appointment for an in-person consultation with a hair transplant surgeon.  We are opening an office in S. Korea and have another in China for your convenience.  Best of luck to you. 

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon