Propantheline Bromide for Hyperhidrosis?

Is propantheline bromide effective as a treatment for hyperhidrosis? I have palmer, planter and axillary hyperhidrosis and have heard varying reports as to the effectiveness of medication like this.

Yes, we use propantheline bromide quite a bit in our sweat clinic (see for dosing). It works well for a short acting drug, especially for hands and feet (feet especially). You should consider BOTOX or even miraDry for your underarms, as they are more reproducible in the outcomes. Is summary-

1. P. bromide is great, works in some, not in others
2. Use under a Specialist
3. Take 15 mg at night, increase to 3 times a day
4. Side effects are common- dry mouth, constipation, rare side effects include glaucoma
5. Use for short periods, say 2-4 weeks, then give a break. 
6. Cheap drug for HH, especially useful for feet. 
7. Consider BOTOX for under arms, especially if you live in Australia as this is subsidised if performed by a Specialist Dermatologist 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser, skin and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

185 Moggill Road
Brisbane, QLD 4068

Miradry system for Hyperhidrosis in Los Angeles

I would recommend the Miradry system for axillary hyperhidrosis. I offer this in my Los Angeles office and have seen very positive results. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Propantheline Not Really Specific

The problem with these anticholinergic side effects, which are frequently worse than the hyperhidrosis.  Botox reduces the hyperhidrosis in a very specific fashion, but the cost is much greater.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Propantheline for hyperhidrosis vs Glycopyrrolate

Propantheline and glycopyrrolate are used to treat hyperhidrosis and their effect is variable but most insurance companies want atients to try to take one of these anticholinergic medications - their effectiveness is less than 1 in 2 patients and they can have side effects of dry eyes/mouth, palpitations of the heart, abdominal cramps, sexual dysfunction in men (rare), among others and you should get the full list from the pharmacist.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221