Propantheline Bromide for Hyperhidrosis?

Is propantheline bromide effective as a treatment for hyperhidrosis? I have palmer, planter and axillary hyperhidrosis and have heard varying reports as to the effectiveness of medication like this.

+1
Yes, we use propantheline bromide quite a bit in our sweat clinic (see sweatfree.com.au for dosing). It works well for a short acting drug, especially for hands and feet (feet especially). You should consider BOTOX or even miraDry for your underarms, as they are more reproducible in the outcomes. Is summary-

1. P. bromide is great, works in some, not in others
2. Use under a Specialist
3. Take 15 mg at night, increase to 3 times a day
4. Side effects are common- dry mouth, constipation, rare side effects include glaucoma
5. Use for short periods, say 2-4 weeks, then give a break. 
6. Cheap drug for HH, especially useful for feet. 
7. Consider BOTOX for under arms, especially if you live in Australia as this is subsidised if performed by a Specialist Dermatologist 

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser, skin and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Miradry system for Hyperhidrosis in Los Angeles

+1

I would recommend the Miradry system for axillary hyperhidrosis. I offer this in my Los Angeles office and have seen very positive results. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Propantheline Not Really Specific

+1

The problem with these anticholinergic side effects, which are frequently worse than the hyperhidrosis.  Botox reduces the hyperhidrosis in a very specific fashion, but the cost is much greater.

Propantheline for hyperhidrosis vs Glycopyrrolate

+1

Propantheline and glycopyrrolate are used to treat hyperhidrosis and their effect is variable but most insurance companies want atients to try to take one of these anticholinergic medications - their effectiveness is less than 1 in 2 patients and they can have side effects of dry eyes/mouth, palpitations of the heart, abdominal cramps, sexual dysfunction in men (rare), among others and you should get the full list from the pharmacist.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon