Prominent Platysma Bands After Facelift and Lifting Weights, What's The Cause? What Can Be Done?

I had a facelift and necklift a year ago. (57 y female) I started lifting arm weights at the gym. After a month I noticed that my vertical platysma bands were prominent with grimacing and facial animation. I never noticed this before lifting weights. I really don't want Botox. If I stop lifting weights will the platysma bands relax? What has actually happened here to cause the platysma bands to show all of a sudden?

Platysma bands after surgery

+2

They are almost always a double fix needed.First suturing them together in the midline and cutting them as far down the neck as possible.Then their contrating has stretched out this neck skin and a tightening of yje nek skin is necessary

Prominent Platysmal Bands after Lifting Weights

+1

Contraction of the platsyma can expose areas of banding particularly during strain.  In addition, if you have lost body fat due to increased workload at the gym, the bands may be more noticeable.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Platysma bands can be corrected with anterior neck lift.

+1

Hi.

I think your lifting weights is not the primary cause.  The bands were evidently not repaired at the time of your facelift, and of course you are a year older.  It sounds like the bands should be corrected now through a short incision under your chin, where you may already have a scar.  This is easy with a quick recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Neck bands and weight lifting after a face lift

+1

Weight lifting can tense the platysma. A tense platysma can form bands. It suggests your technique needs improvement. Besides checking with your surgeon, consider: 

1. an expert trainer expert to check your technique
  2.  weights appropriate for your level
  3. stabilizing your scapula when you lift to avoid tension in neck and shoulder muscles
  4. exhaling as you lift the weights
  5. After 6 weeks, if the bands are still bothersome, try Botox.
  6. If you don't want Botox, your surgeon can probably do a limited re-operation to trim the platysma edges. Best of luck with your fitness program!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Platysmal Bands

+1

Platysmal bands vertical lines found in the central neck.  They tend to become more prominent with age and can be very bothersome.  They are formed by the leading edge of the platysmal muscles on either side of the neck.  The platysmal bands are typically treated with a procedure called a platysmaplasty.  This procedure is done through a small incision beneath the chin.  The edges of the platysma muscles are trimmed and sewn together.

Its possible, though somewhat unlikely, that exercise could undo the binding sutures after a platysmaplasty (if this was even been done in your case!).  Unfortunately, if this did occur, It is unlikely to go away by stopping exercise.  Your best options are:

• give it time to see if the problem resolves with healing (recommended)
  • Botox/Dysport/Xeomin
  • revision platysmaplasty

Hope this helps!

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prominent platysmal bands after lifting weights

+1

It's possible that you have recurrent platysmal laxity that may require a revision platysmaplasty. It is unlikely that stopping weight lifting will help the problem. I would visit with an experienced and qualified facial plastic surgeon to determine whether or not you are in need of a revision. 

Todd C. Miller, MD

Platysma bands or "turkey wattle" after facelift?

+1

The two folds of skin that go vertically from the chin down the front of the neck are called platysma bands because they are related to a separation of the underlying muscle, called the platysma. I routinely repair this when doing a facelift, using a technique called platysmaplasty. That involves an incision under the chin. So in your case, it all depends on whether the platysmaplasty was done with your facelift or not. Discuss it with your plastic surgeon.

Richard Baxter, MD