Ask a doctor

Prominent Chin Reduction Method? (photo)

Hello. I have a prominent chin. The doctor told me that abrasion of tip will be enough. But I think that moving of a bony segment, sliding genioplasty is also needed. Is it possible to move chin a bit backwards and change the shape of the tip by chiselling? Many thanks in advance

Doctor Answers (2)

Chin reduction with sliding genioplasty


Depending on the level of reduction desired chin reduction can be done using a sanding process or by using a reverse sliding genioplasty technique.

During genioplasty it may also be possible to remove a wedge of bone to futher reduce the chin size.

The bone segment can also be reshaped at the same time as well.


Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Reducing a Large Chin


Assuming your dental occlusion is normal the chin can be reduced by simply burring (filing) the excess bone. A sliding genioplasty, a much bigger procedure, will probably not be necessary. 

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.