Over-projected Nose, What is the Limitation for Shortening It? (photo)

I have a very ugly profile, caused by my nose, and I finally pulled myself together to do something about it. My question is what are the limitation to what can be done to a nose like mine. I think it needs a correction for hump, over-projection (some 7-10 mm), hanging Columella and probably tip rotation and minimization (too boxy). Is the image #2 possible to achive? Any advice would be appreciated, as I would like to schedule a surgery during this year (2013). Thanks in advance A. Mallet

Rhinoplasty for overly projecting nose

+2

While it is possible to significantly reduce the overly projecting nose, there are still some physical limitations to the procedure. 7-10 mm of reduction is probably a bit too much for realistic expectations. The hanging columella can certainly be trimmed back by removing skin and cartilage from the columella along with reducing the boxy tip. We are very conservative on the amount of tip rotation in men. For examples of overly projecting noses we have reduced our practice, please see the link below

Over-projected Nose, What is the Limitation for Shortening It?

+2

I think that the nose can be altered in the manner you have suggested, but I do not think that second picture is realistic with regard to level of tip deprojection. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Over Projected Nose

+2

I certainly think your profile can be improved with Rhinoplasty.  When it comes to determining exactly what needs to be done, it is best to have a consultation with a Board Certified surgeon who can go over these options with you.  It is always helpful to bring in the pictures you have to help your surgeon understand what you are looking for. 

The pictures are a little small to evaluate, but I agree that refinement of the dorsum and the tip would be useful.  I would also advise you to consider augmentation of the chin as a complimentary procedure. This will reduce the perceived size of the nose and further improve the profile.

Jason Altman, MD