Progressive Tension Suture Technique Canadian Surgeons? (photo)

After years research I am eager to finally go ahead with an abdominoplasty. Having four kids I have loose skin and alot of stretch marks as I am quite small (just under 110lbs and 5'5"). I have recently learned about the progressive tension suture method which I am interested in as the scars seem to heal very nicely. Are their any Plastic Surgeons in Canada that specialize in this technique? Does it differ from the "quilting" method? I’ve read conflicting info. Any guidance is appreciated.

Progressive Tension Sutures and Abdominoplasty- Canadian Style

+3

Our practice in Toronto has featured this technique for over 10 years.  The terms 'progressive tension' vs. 'quilting' are used interchangeably, but effective use of PTS requires a comprehensive understanding of what the sutures can do to improve abdominoplasty. PTS distribute tension across the abdominal wall fascia, so that there is less tendency for the flap edge to drift upwards creating a high scar location. There is also less tension on the scar, so it heals better with less spread or thickening.  Secondly, PTS close space between the skin and the muscle so that there is less opportunity for fluid collection.  This in turn means no drains, and no tight belts, each of which can cause problems in the post-operative period.  PTS can also be used to shape the abdominal contour and get the most from your abdominoplasty. 

Progressive Tension Suturing vs. Quilting Sutures

+2

The difference between progressive tension sutures and quilting sutures is a technical one.  Progressive tension sutures are a type of quilting sutures.  Advocates of progressive tension sutures will tell you that they are placed in such a way as to pull on and advance the flap of skin while regular quilting sutures just tie the skin down to the underlying muscle.  I live and work in Texas and cannot make a recommendation in Canada for you.

Sacha Obaid, MD

In abdominoplasty progressive tension suturing and "quilting" are the same thing.

+2

Selective suturing of the skin and fat flap to the abdominal wall is intended to obliterate dead  space and remove tension from skin closure.

Quilting vs Progressive Tension Suture Techniques

+2

Quilting sutures were designed to reduce the likelihood of fluid collection in tummy tuck and to help eliminate the need for drains.  The progressive tension suture implies that tension is taken off of the closure by placing interrupted sutures above the level of closure.  Stitches can be placed that serve both purposes.  However, people are probably splitting hairs about them being markedly different.

PTS or drainless tummy tuck

+1

Progressive tension sutures use absorbable sutures that close any cavities inside your body that are created after tissue removal, minimizing the risk of seroma/hematoma and making drains unnecessary. It can reduce the risk of infection and your recovery tends to be faster than if drains were used. However, thinner patients may require drains. That's why you have to get a consultation to see which technique would be best for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Drains and Tummy Tucks

+1
Thank you for your post. Whenever there is a potential space in your body, your body tends to fill that space with serous fluid (the yellow type of fluid that also comes out of a 'weeping wound'. This is similar to when you get a blister: the layers of skin separate and fluid is deposited in to the space. In a tummy tuck, the space is in between the skin/fat layer and the muscle layer. Most surgeons will place a drain to remove this fluid while your body is secreting it until the fat layer grows back together with the muscle layer. At that point, no more fluid is secreted into the area, because there is no more space for fluid. The length of time that this takes varies from patient to patient. Some patients heal much faster, thus the layers seal together much faster. Also, the more twisting motion you have in your belly area, the slower the two layers grow back together because they are moving in relation to each other. The fluid coming through the drain can be initially dark red, and eventually clears to pink then yellow. This is because it takes just a little bit of blood to make the fluid dark red. Also, initially, there can be a large amount of fluid (few hundred cc's in the first day is not out of the range of normal) and this should slow down substantially over next few days. Once the fluid slows down to the amount that your surgeon is comfortable with (usually 25-50 cc in 24 hours) then they will be pulled. There is minimal discomfort in pulling the drain in most patients.
More recently, 'drain free' surgery has become more popular. Fat layer is sutured down to the muscle layer starting at the ribs and progressively down to the lower incision. This makes the space for the fluid to collect much smaller, and in many patients can have surgery without drains. However, I have seen multiple patients come from other surgeons because they developed a seroma despite the suturing of the tissue. This is not the surgeon's fault, but some patients just do not heal fast enough or put out too much fluid for the body to absorb.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Progressive Tension Sutures

+1

The progressive tension method and quilting sutures are the same technique.  It minimizes the tension on the wound which can improve the scar quality.  You have some excess skin and weakness of your abdominal muscles.  You don't have a ton of excess skin so you might end up with a small inverted "T" incision.  I would recommend going to the ASPS website to find a BC in Canada.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Quilting and progressive sutures are the same thing

+1

they are two different names for the same thing.  the idea is to use sutures to help take the tension off of the incision and to help to eliminate the dead space and decrease the rate of seroma.  some use drains with it.  some eliminate the use of drains altogether.

Eric Chang, MD