Profractional - Safe for People with Keloid Tendencies?

I'm Considering a Profractional Tx is It Safe for People with Kelodal Tendencies.

Safety can be controlled with a test patch and conservative settings

+1
Profractional on the flip side can help treat keloid scars, but as you pointed out, it can cause keloids as well. 
From a practical point of view, I do not exclude patients who have a tendency to keloid. HOWEVER I mitigate the risks by performing the following

1. A test patch

2. Avoid treating areas on the face prone to keloid eg, Jawline

3. Using conservative settings with no excessive passing (eg stick with 11%), with no coag

4 .Close follow up of the patient and the use of V Beam laser and dilute steroid injections IF scarring is early

Hope this clarifies the practical points of treating patients who tend to scar up...

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Fractional laser technology not there yet for patients with keloid tendencies

+1

Unfortunately there are no large scale studies available yet for fractional laser technology and keloid tendecies.  In the medical literature there are reports of increased hypertrophic or keloidal scarring in certain skin areas after fractional resurfacing.

There are also research articles showing the effects of fractional resurfacing on cells that produce keloids, so called keloidal fibroblasts, with some promise that the keloidal activity of these cells is decreased and they function more normally. This research is ongoing and not yet tested other than in cells in the laboratory.

In short, my answer is that if you have a tendency to keloid, I would not recommend profractional treatments or any fractional laser work at the present.  We cannot yet predict what the results are going to be, and certainly we do not want to create more scarring.

There are other rejuvenating modalities available that would not increase the risk of keloidal scarring, such as injectables and topical retinoids.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon