Profractional - Safe for People with Keloid Tendencies?

I'm Considering a Profractional Tx is It Safe for People with Kelodal Tendencies.

Fractional laser technology not there yet for patients with keloid tendencies

+1

Unfortunately there are no large scale studies available yet for fractional laser technology and keloid tendecies.  In the medical literature there are reports of increased hypertrophic or keloidal scarring in certain skin areas after fractional resurfacing.

There are also research articles showing the effects of fractional resurfacing on cells that produce keloids, so called keloidal fibroblasts, with some promise that the keloidal activity of these cells is decreased and they function more normally. This research is ongoing and not yet tested other than in cells in the laboratory.

In short, my answer is that if you have a tendency to keloid, I would not recommend profractional treatments or any fractional laser work at the present.  We cannot yet predict what the results are going to be, and certainly we do not want to create more scarring.

There are other rejuvenating modalities available that would not increase the risk of keloidal scarring, such as injectables and topical retinoids.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon