Profractional Laser by Sciton is It Good for Skin Tightening?

What do you think about the pro-fractional by Sciton for all over skin tighten on face and for undereyes wrinkles and above lip wrinkles? how long would the results last?

Profractional Erbium laser and skin tightening

+2

Ablative lasers are those that vaporize the epidermis and papillary dermis.  This includes CO2 and Er YAG.  They can be used to remove the entire epidermis, either full or partial thickness.

Nonablative devices do not wound the epidermis.  These include IPL, radiofrequency, ultrasound and other devices that affect the dermis but not the epidermis.

Fractional CO2 and ErYAG lasers are fractionally ablative, although in the literature they are sometimes divided into CO2 being ablative because of the zone of heat necrosis in the dermis and ErYAG non ablative because that necrosis zone is absent and there is just vaporization.  I believe they are both fractional ablative because there is destruction of the epidermis in some form.

Because the fractional devices like Sciton Profractional vaporize columns of epidermis and dermis, there is both contraction of untreated skin around the areas of vaporization and stimulation of new collagen production, which does result in tightening and rejuvenation of the skin.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes it is, however combination treatments maybe better...

+1
Ablative lasers, namely erbium, erbium modulated, and CO2 are all excellent lasers for skin tightening because they cause dermal remodelling- namely stimulating and restructuring your collagen (scaffolding of your skin) to lay new, fresh meshwork. This translates to less wrinkles, tighter skin, fresher skin, and an overall reduction in pigmentation. 

Now, to answer your SPECIFIC question about Scition Profractional- I think it is an excellent tool. In fact that is my treatment of choice. I normally use it in fully ablative, not fractional mode. I perform several passes over the area, then elect to use a CO2 Laser (fractional) - CO2 CORE by Syneron. This causes more tightening, as CO2 produces more heat. 

The trade off is that recovery following this procedure is a little longer- 8-12 days, and redness for a few weeks. But the results are there!

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Facial Skin tightening and Profractional Laser Treatments

+1

Thank you for sharing your question. Profractional treatments will effectively improve skin tightness if it is used at a sufficient depth to cause injury to the deep dermis. Dermal injury  leads to an increase in the quantity/organization of collagen and improvement in solar elastosis.  Although improvement may be limited under the eyes, perioral wrinkles/rhytids are improved. Perioral rhytids can be further improved with the addition of dermabrasion. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Profractional works great especially when combined with Microlaser peel

+1

Great question.  I have been using both lasers for several years and they work great together.  The profracional goes deeper and the Microlaser Peel treated some of the surface discolorations. Be sure to get on a good skin care program and wear your sunscreen!!

Good Luck,

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Robert F. Gray, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Profractional for lines around eyes and lips

+1

Using the profractional laser to remove lines around the eyes and lips is a very common treatment in my practice.  We can get anywhere from good to amazing results depending on how deep we go and how many treatments are done.  This is usually determined by the patients needs and availability. The key is to appropriately treat at appropriate settings with the right downtime and healing time .

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

ProFractional Joule Treatment (Scition) DOES Tighten Skin

+1

The ProFractional Laser Treatment offered by the Joule lasers made by Sciton are the BEST and most accurate way to tighten facial skin. Unlike other lasers, the operator can  choose the DEPTH of penetration of each beam into the skin, the DENSITY these "wells" are placed next to one another (put another way the amount of unlasered skin), the addition of COAGULATION to further increase skin shrinkage and the ability to do this treatment with without a complete laser resurfacing (ie MICRO LASER PEEL).

Look it up on the Sciton website and on YouTube.

Dr. Peter A Aldea