Aggressive ProFractional Laser Resurfacing on Ethnic Skin

I am an African American male who is about to undergo a full face profractional treatment (3 sessions) for melasma/hyperpigmentation and enlarge pores. My doctor did a test spot on an area where I have alot of hyperpigmentation and everything went well, but I see no improvement. The profractional treatment seemed to be not aggressive at all.

She set the setting at 250 depth, but my question to you is, is it safe with my complexion to do more passes with the laser or increase the area covered by the laser? With those small dots so spaced out, it seems like it will be very hard to determine if there are any results.

P.S. I'm also using DesOwen before and after treatment and 8% hydroquinone to prevent pih. Please help!

You will need many treatments my friend....

+1
Yes, 250 is conservative, what you are treating is at different ends of the spectrum- namely epidermal or upper dermis (Melasma), and very very deep- pore size. The fact that you have ethic skin makes it all the more difficult. 

My suggestion- post a picture as it tells a thousand words. If you are after melasma treatment, stay at 250 no coag possibly 22% passes by two at the very most. Then at another session you will require a different setting for pore size- possibly 11% at 600-900 microns, one pass. Multiple treatments. 

Unfortunately with your skin type and two very different conditions, one Profractional laser will not be effective. Aim for 8.

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist. 
BRISBANE, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist