Profile/Implant Size for 5'9", 125lbs, BWD 13.1

Hello Dr's :) In your professional experience, what would you suggest on me? I am 5'9", 122-125lbs, my BWD is 13.1, currently a full 34A(I have some extra skin), no kids. I am looking for a small D. I want both upper pole and a round natural look. What profile and size would you recommend for me? Thank you in advance! I very much appreciate your feedback.

Choosing Breast Implant Size Must Consider Numerous Anatomic Factors

+2

Just based on your description, single photograph and breast base width measurement, you are in the ballpark of between 450cc to 500cc using a high profile silicone gel implant. Your thin skin will do better with a gel implant rather than saline to decrease rippling. A high profile implant will help give you your desired overall round breast shape. You have the height for this size of an implant, which with your thin frame, can make a D cup quite easily. This will give you some idea as you consult with a plastic surgeon as to where to start with sizing and trying on the implants.

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Size and profile

+1

The question is really what do you want to look like. In your description, you asked for a "round, natural" result.  When consulting with a patient we always like to view pictures of what the patient desires because in my experience, a round result is very different from a natural result.  Rather than picking a particular implant size and profile prior to the procedure, I would rather find out what the patient wants to look like and then during the procedure pick the appropriate implant to accomplish this.

If you would like to find out more information regarding implant size and their effects, visit our blog on our website. Good luck to you and I hope this was helpful.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Get sized by a board certified plastic surgeon.

+1

Size is a complex decision that is not only based upon your height, weight and current cup/bra size but ALSO on also on your breast diameter, waist, shoulder, and skin envelope measurements. These can only be assessed in person during a consultation.  Schedule a consultation and get advice from a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Implant choices

+1

Choosing the right implant for you is a lengthy discussion and exam performed by your surgeon. An agreement and rought size range should be discussed with your surgeon.  Ofteen my patients are very narrow and the HP's or moderate plus are best for them.

Selection of Your Implant Size

+1

If you are seeking a D cup result, after an physical examination, I would likely recommend a high profile silicone gel implant.  Part of your evaluation would include assessing the anatomy of your chest wall.

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

What breast implant to use?

+1

Based on what you desire, a silicone gel implant around 400cc may be a starting point for discussion with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. However, you want a "small D with upper pole" but a "round natural look". These may be somewhat opposing goals.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

How to pick breast implants.

+1

Home > Doctors > George J. Beraka, MD > How to pick breast implant sizes
Worth it Ratings | Find a Doctor | Expert Q&A
How to pick breast implant sizes
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant size suggestions

+1

You look to have good tissue in the breasts for an augmentation but also to be exceptionally thin which makes it a little harder.

Your stated goals cannot all be met as a D with upper pole fullness and roundness are not "natural."  Therefore, you need to be very visually specific with the doctor and with you they will guide you toward the right implant for your body and your starting point.  Forget the cup size also, just go for the desired "look."

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Sizes

+1

You appear to be a good candidate for augmentation from the limited view on your photo.  Even though you provided a good bit of information (BWD, height, weight, etc.), I still feel that it is important for your try on implants with the input of a BC plastic surgeon.  Again there is no uniform 34D cup size and no one can give you the info you requested accurately.

John Whitt, MD