Breast Implant Profile Choice

My doctor is recommending 400cc high profile silicone. I have a 29.5" rib cage, 13cm breast width. I am 5'6 135 pounds 21% body fat. I was thinking the moderate plus would give me better curves. high=@12cm mod plus=@13. With my measurements and need for a full lift what's the recommendation?

PHOTOS: Breast Implant Profile Choice for lift

+1

The choice of implant will vary by surgeon and their aesthetic taste. i tend to prefer the moderate plus.

Choosing Breast Implant Profiles

+1

Breast implant profiles are a decision that is based on a number of factors that involve both your desire, your anatomy and input from your surgeon.  This is normally based upon the breast width (termed base width), the amount of breast tissue you possess, what volume you prefer in when sizing and what type of "look" you are trying to achieve. All of these (and more) factor into the final decision.

However, you will almost certainly need a lollipop (vertical) breast lift as well as an implant to achieve a youthful, symmetric and attractive breast size and shape. Look at this before and after as an example - http://www.realself.com/photo/200468.  Otherwise you will end up with a breast drooping off the implant no matter what implant profile you choose.

Best of luck.

Vincent Marin, MD

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

www.MarinAesthetics.com

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Implant choices

+1

It really depends upon what you want. If you want more curve laterally, than go with the wider implant.  If you just want the projection then go with the high profile.

Choosing Implant Profiles

+1

Implant profile selection is really a process that requires hands-on measurements by your doctor at the time you decide on the volume you want. 

I have found that only the most petite (i.e. size 0 or 2) individuals with 28" chests or less to be candidates sometimes.  Remember, a narrow implant cannot create the cleavage that a lot of patients want.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Minimal scar breast lift good with breast implants to correct moderate sagging.

+1

Hi.

1)  This is not your question, but you do not need a "full" breast lift based on your photograph.   You probably need either a "doughnut" mastopexy with scars around your nipples, or a "lollipop scar" mastopexy.

2)  The best way to determine which implant shape is best for you is DURING surgery.  When doing breast augmentation in New York City, we use sterile disposable implant SIZERS, before we open the actual implants.  Any other approach is just an educated guess.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How to choose the best breast implant profile

+1

The idea of different implant profiles is to be able to match the base diameter of the implant to the breast while getting the volume you want. The sequence is start with measurements, then try on samples in a bra until you find the size you want (it doesn't matter what the profile of the implants is for this part). Once the volume is determined, the implant style that matches the diamter is selected. In your case, 400 cc HP in saline is just under 12 cm, so a good match for a measured base of 13. HP implants are not as natural in appearance though.

Richard Baxter, MD

Moderate profile implants are best for most patients

+1

It pretty rare that I use high-profile implants for patients- the most important part of your particular procedure will be a well executed breast lift. The implant will give you upper pole volume. I think your time is best spent discussing the details of the breast lift procedure you need, and not on the implant profile selected. It really won't make much of a difference. Frankly. I use moderate profile implants for most patients. That's what we have in our 'inventory' and the implants work well with just about everybody.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Plus gives the best of both worlds

+1

The choice of implant is between you and your surgeon.  From just this picture it appears that you need a lollipop or vertical lift plus an implant.  I like the mod plus (since the shaped silicone are not yet available) because it fills you out all over and then the lift repositions the nipple to the correct height on the implant.  A high profile will give you more projection but may leave you slightly hollow in the upper pole.  Discuss this with your surgeon so you are satisfied with what you are getting.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon