Breast Implant Profile Choice

My doctor is recommending 400cc high profile silicone. I have a 29.5" rib cage, 13cm breast width. I am 5'6 135 pounds 21% body fat. I was thinking the moderate plus would give me better curves. high=@12cm mod plus=@13. With my measurements and need for a full lift what's the recommendation?

I agree you will need a Breast Lift - I prefer the #LollipopBreastLift technique. Regarding the choice of implants, here is some advice: It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in

PHOTOS: Breast Implant Profile Choice for lift

The choice of implant will vary by surgeon and their aesthetic taste. i tend to prefer the moderate plus.

Choosing Breast Implant Profiles

Breast implant profiles are a decision that is based on a number of factors that involve both your desire, your anatomy and input from your surgeon.  This is normally based upon the breast width (termed base width), the amount of breast tissue you possess, what volume you prefer in when sizing and what type of "look" you are trying to achieve. All of these (and more) factor into the final decision.

However, you will almost certainly need a lollipop (vertical) breast lift as well as an implant to achieve a youthful, symmetric and attractive breast size and shape. Look at this before and after as an example -  Otherwise you will end up with a breast drooping off the implant no matter what implant profile you choose.

Best of luck.

Vincent Marin, MD

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Implant choices

It really depends upon what you want. If you want more curve laterally, than go with the wider implant.  If you just want the projection then go with the high profile.

Choosing Implant Profiles

Implant profile selection is really a process that requires hands-on measurements by your doctor at the time you decide on the volume you want. 

I have found that only the most petite (i.e. size 0 or 2) individuals with 28" chests or less to be candidates sometimes.  Remember, a narrow implant cannot create the cleavage that a lot of patients want.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Minimal scar breast lift good with breast implants to correct moderate sagging.

1)  This is not your question, but you do not need a "full" breast lift based on your photograph.   You probably need either a "doughnut" mastopexy with scars around your nipples, or a "lollipop scar" mastopexy.

2)  The best way to determine which implant shape is best for you is DURING surgery.  When doing breast augmentation in New York City, we use sterile disposable implant SIZERS, before we open the actual implants.  Any other approach is just an educated guess.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How to choose the best breast implant profile

The idea of different implant profiles is to be able to match the base diameter of the implant to the breast while getting the volume you want. The sequence is start with measurements, then try on samples in a bra until you find the size you want (it doesn't matter what the profile of the implants is for this part). Once the volume is determined, the implant style that matches the diamter is selected. In your case, 400 cc HP in saline is just under 12 cm, so a good match for a measured base of 13. HP implants are not as natural in appearance though.

Richard Baxter, MD

Moderate profile implants are best for most patients

It pretty rare that I use high-profile implants for patients- the most important part of your particular procedure will be a well executed breast lift. The implant will give you upper pole volume. I think your time is best spent discussing the details of the breast lift procedure you need, and not on the implant profile selected. It really won't make much of a difference. Frankly. I use moderate profile implants for most patients. That's what we have in our 'inventory' and the implants work well with just about everybody.

Plus gives the best of both worlds

The choice of implant is between you and your surgeon.  From just this picture it appears that you need a lollipop or vertical lift plus an implant.  I like the mod plus (since the shaped silicone are not yet available) because it fills you out all over and then the lift repositions the nipple to the correct height on the implant.  A high profile will give you more projection but may leave you slightly hollow in the upper pole.  Discuss this with your surgeon so you are satisfied with what you are getting.