What Profile and Silicon Size Do I Need for Breast Augmentation?

I am 44 yrs old, 36B bra size, 140 lbs. I would like to have mid C. My doctor said I need a high profile 350 cc silicon. I do not wish to have D size and I am afraid to turn into D. I cancelled my appointment because of this reason and will talk with him again. I had tummy tuck from him 2 years ago and I think he did a good job on it but I do still have tenderness and large area w/o feeling. I am not sure if I should change doctor. Is high profile 350 cc silicon good for me?

Size

+1

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Implant Type for Breast Augmentation

+1

Without viewing photos or examining you that would be very difficult to say. It may be necesary to recontact them after obtaining you options to see whose plan is most compatible with the result that you can realistically obtain.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Implant Profile

+1

The size and profile of the implant depends upon the size of your shoulders, ribcage and the amount of breast tissue and skin you have in your breast themselves. A person with a narrow ribcage and very little breast tissue would require a High-profile implant and the size of the implant would be upon the request of the patient. One must remeber that silicone is slightly smaller than saline and if a person request a, lets say a 300 that would be in the range of a C- anything larger than 390 usually goes into the D range. If the patient has a large ribcage with no breast tissue then normally they require medium high-profile depending on the size she wants, but usually no smaller than 390 filled to 440. If the patient does have breast tissue then it will simply be a low-profile silicone implant that would be n the same range.

John S. Poser, MD

Profile and Silicon Size for Breast Augmentation

+1

To provide you an accurate recommendation, you will need an in person consultation and exam. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to review your objectives and to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+1

It is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals.

The most important decision you make while considering breast augmentation surgery is selection of plastic surgeon;  You should feel very comfortable with this selection after reviewing lots of examples of his/her work.

The next important step would be  to communicate your goals  carefully with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full C” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Proper size for Breast Augmentation

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without knowing all of your breast measurements and without an in office exam.  I do not use generic cookie cutter measurements in my practice so every person gets the correct cc amount based on their current breast volume, their measurements and ultimately their desired outcome.  Maybe you should get a second opinion from another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Milind K. Ambe, MD

+1

In our practice we tell patients that 200cc's equates approximately one cup size.  When placing the implant behind the muscle we generally go a little larger to accomodate extra space. 

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

What is your goal after breast augmentation

+1

The most important consideration is what you wish to look like, and some like the high profile rounder projecting look. If your surgeon did not use any trial bras and never reviewed photos of your desired goal there might be a red flag. If you don't want to look like the 'rest' of the before and afters, make sure you find a surgeon who looks at you as an individual.

Breast implant size??

+1

There are no fixed and accepted definitions of cup sizes. I have patients who can wear three different cup sizes that all fit (or sometimes none quite fit). Your idea of a C may not match my idea, nor your surgeons idea.

If you can try implants on you will get a pretty good idea of the size you will achieve, though the implants typically look a bit bigger when they are on top of the breast as opposed to inside. Once you have a size that looks right to you, your surgeon can help advise you as to whether your breast dimensions are appropriate for that implant, and the surgeon can recommend the profile that best fits your anatomy. 

I my experience a 350 cc implant will increase your size by more than one cup size.