Professional Teeth Whitening Months Before Crowns?

I have been given a present for teeth whitening by a dentist in UK which expires July. In September, I will be having my crowns replaced (6,7,10,11) while in the States. I have read that you should not have your crowns matched to your newly whitened teeth - to give it at least 3 days. Why would it not be okay (or even better) to have your teeth whitened a couple of months before matching to your new crowns? I will spend 2 months with ugly old crowns but is it ok to whiten now? PS thank you!

When to whiten your teeth?

+2

It is ideal to whiten at least 2 weeks before having any cosmetic dental treatment so there will be time for relapse in color.  It is fine to leave a longer interval before the work is done, but not less than 2 weeks or the color will not be matched as well as it could.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening before having crowns.

+2
It is best to whiten adjacent teeth several weeks before having crowns done because they could streak or dry out from the bleaching agent and over time they will darken again as they get rehydrated. You should not bleach or whiten teeth if you are doing all porcelain veneers as they pick up a significant amount of the final color from the core if the teeth they are bonded onto. So even if they match today, in six months they may not because the core color of the tooth will darken. This will potentially leave darker veneers later. If you are doing porcelain fused to metal crowns it won't matter. It doesn't show through. It is not possible to do the reverse reliably- to place s crown and whiten it to match perfectly, because teeth whiten unreliably in the intensity or if they would streak based upon a number if factors. But they will "lighten".

Randall LaFrom, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

The wait is minimum 2 weeks

+2
2 months may be better, as you suggest. I also suggest not whitening any teeth that will be restored (crowns or veneers) so that any rebound in color will not matter.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening your teeth

+2

It is perfectly fine to whiten now.  Research indicates that teeth will darken approximately one half shade weeks after a professional whitening.  So it would be no problem to whiten now as you are already aware of the potential to have a mismatch with the existing crowns.  Good luck!

Mike Dorociak DDS

Michael Dorociak, DDS
Sarasota Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth whitening before the crowns

+1

The standard protocol is to perform whitening of the teeth a couple of weeks prior to shade taking for the final crowns. It allows the shade of adjacent teeth to "come back" slightly and become more stable. So you can safely whiten your teeth in July. Good luck with your treatment!

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Professional Teeth Whitening Before Crowns?

+1

You do not want the dentist guess the color of your teeth, it is much better for aesthetic reasons to whiten teeth before you get your new crowns made. They are your front teeth and when they select the color they will probably take photos to send to the Master Laboratory , they can use this to match the porcelain to your teeth perfectly, of course , along with the selection of the shade that you and your dentist agreed on. Porcelain does not change color, and for you it will easier to continue whitening until you are happy and satisfied and then select the color of your porcelain. Good luck

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

When to whiten to match crowns and veneers

+1

You should wait a minimum of two weeks, and you should not whiten those teeth that you are restoring if with all porcelain material

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist