What to Do if Profractional Laser Doesn't Work on my Deep Acne Scars?

I have almost disfiguring scars on both sides of my chin where I received electrolysis six years ago. I also have a problem with course facial hairs on my chin that often become ingrown and infected underneaththe scar tissue that keeps building up as the years go by.The rest of the scars are around and in my smile line and on my cheek.The scars are cystic acne based and I have also picked and exacerbated everything. What treatments are available for me to get a clean slate? Thank you.

Acne treatment

+1

Nothing will get you to a "clean slate" but several different options are available to you. These would include CO2 laser resurfacing, fat and or filler injections of the depressed areas, and even punch excisions of some of the depressed areas. Go see a plastic surgeon to give you what would work best for you. www.surgery-plastic.com.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Acne scarring and laser

+1

It sounds like you have some pseudofolliculitis barbae, a condition in which ingrown hairs can produce bumps and even scars in some people, although it's more common in patients with skin of color, and especially men. If this is a condition that you have, and your acne is quiescent, then laser hair removal can be done, followed by scar treatment wtih Profractional or Fraxel laser resurfacing, cortisone injections, dermabrasion, etc. but all of these procedures have a risk of scarring. See an expert in scar revision for a thorough consultation.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fractionated laser for acne scars

+1

I would start with treatment of your active acne. As long as you have active acne then treating the scars doesn't make sense. You need to control the acne first and then treat the scars. There are several options (photodynamic therapy, antibiotics, accutane, etc) and consultation with a good board certified dermatologist is recommended.

Additionally, I would look into laser hair removal to stop the problem you are having with ingrown hairs. Fractionated ablative lasers such as the Profractional or Fraxel Repair are good options for the scars once the actvie acne is treated.

John Burns, MD