Any Product That a Plastic Surgeon or Burn Specialist Can Recommend to Reduce Tightness Of Eyelid Injury?

I had lower blepharoplasty 2 years ago. During recovery period in a state of anxiety I applied boiled (not cooled) salty water very briefly on the sutures. Ever since the skin around my eyes feels very tight and contracted. I have seen opthalomogists who assure there is no deep burns, however, the tightness continues. Is there any product I can use or surgery (I now have dry eye too)to help remedy this as its very uncomfortable.

Psychological issues may truly be at play here

+1

Dear Graeme

Without every having seen you or interacted with you, it is difficult to give this following assessment, and this website, although very helpful, does not lend itself to providing a deeper, more thoughtful assessment that I believe you need.

I agree with Dr. Steinsapir that the issue at hand is likely not an anatomic problem of skin tightness, but rather your perception of it. The very fact that you applied boiling water to your sutures in a state of anxiety points to this.

Please seek consultation first from an Oculoplastics specialist to rule out true anatomic problem, and then more importantly with a mental health professional. The worse case scenario is that you waste an hour of your time if there is no underlying psychological issue. But the upside is tremendous.

Best regards

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

There is no substitute for a personal examination.

+1

You are in the UK.  I recommend a referral by your general ophthalmologist to an oculoplastic surgeon for a more detailed assessment.  One immediate concern I have is that you could be suffering from psychological trauma in the form of guilt for applying hot water to your healing eyelids.  Doing something like this against medical advise does suggest some type of tendency toward self-harm.  You do indicate that you suffered anxiety.  It is possible that you do have dry eye as the basis for tightness which could be unrelated to the application of the hot water.  Anxiety and guilt may cause you to associate these feelings with your act of self-harm.  I would encourage you to consider discussing this matter with a psychotherapist.  Perhaps therapy could also be helpful.

Lower lid tightness

+1

I am not sure if that product exists. Perhaps you have tighet skin from too  much skin taken out and your lids are being pulled down and tight. It is impossible to tell without photo and examination. In that case, you might benefit from revisional surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon