What Product Can Be Used to Help Fade a Tummy Tuck/ Belt Lipectomy Scar?

honestly are there any products to help fade the scar from a tummy tuck/ belt lipectomy? not mederma, cocoa butter, bio oil, scar gel, scar away, silicon strips! please help! something that really works. price is no an issue!!!! thanks

Melarase creams for tummy tuck scars that are dark in color

+1

I have my tummy tuck patients use Melarase creams on their scars for at least six months to lighten and even out the color and scar.

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Minimizing Scars after Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Best Scar Management Practice – Advice from Dr. Larry Nichter:
Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the tell tale signs of surgery – namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible from your surgery.  Patients with scars that are enlarged or not healing well after surgery can be from many causes. Unsightly scars are  most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.
Scar Management tips:
1- Minimize tension on the scar – Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”.
2– Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. NEVER apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection contact your surgeon’s office immediately and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
3. –Protect your scars from the sun - staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.  .
4. – Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best.  There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen,etc). At the present time I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products especially on areas that silicone strips aren’t applicable, for example, on the face. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
5. – Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Web reference: http://drnichter.com/best-scar-management/

Scar

+1

The treatment for each scar will vary depending on what the problem is. There is no cure all. An evaluation is a good place to start

Laser can help improve the appearance of scars

+1

Hi, I would advise you to stay away from the over the counter products as I find most people are disappointed with the results they get. I would recommend you see a board certified dermatologist who has expertise in laser surgery. There are a few different lasers that can help improve the appearance of scars from improving the color and texture of them to help flattening them out. You want to see someone who has all the tools available so they pick the best one for you and not someone who has one laser that they try to use for everything. Good luck. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Fade Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

Hi NY.  If you are asking how to fade a dark scar that is red or brown, we can help.    We treat tummy tuck scars for texture (raised appearance  with Kenalog - a steroid.  We treat red scars from surgery with the Cynosure pulsed dye laser and we treat dark scars from surgery with the Palomar Q-Yag V q-switched laser.  

Pulsed dye lasers for redness, q-switched lasers for dark colors.  If your scar is white, we do not have a good laser solution, but we do refer to a permanent makeup artist that re-pigments white scars from surgery.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/scarsLaserRemovalBeforeAfterPicturesPhotos.aspx