Alternative Product That Grows Lashes Without Changing Eye Color?

Latisse and the potential to change eye color

+2

Latisse has never been shown to change the color of the iris. The product began as an eye drop for glaucoma, and it was only in this use that eye color change occurred. Since it was repackaged into the topical eyelash form of Latisse, no patients have reported this event. Since Allergan has a patent on the active ingredient, you are unlikely to find an alternative with bimatoprost as the active ingredient. And I have seen no data that shows something else works.

The starting color of the eye is also an issue. Hazel and light brown eyes were the ones that darkened with the glaucoma prep. The incidence of that was very rare. Blue eyes do not darken.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Latisse is the only product proven to grow eyelashes

+1

There is no evidence to suggest that Latisse will change your eye color. The eye is exposed to a very small amount of Latisse even when it is properly applied as directed to the upper eyelid margin using the supplied applicator. This has been demonstrated by applying a colored dye to the eyelid margin and watching its migration. Over two million prescriptions for Latisse have been filled with no confirmed reports of iris pigmentation issues. There are no other products to consider that have been scientifically proven to make eyelashes grow.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Risk of change in eye color with Latisse

+1

Hi there-

I'm afraid too much is being made of this risk...

Here are a few facts you may not be aware of...

• The risk of changes in eye color only exist if you allow the product to get INTO your eyes on a repeated basis. The product and its applicators make this truly difficult to do- you would almost have to be trying to do it.
  • The risk ONLY applies to those with GREEN OR HAZEL EYES. Why? Because the problem occurs when the product acts on existing pigment cells in your eye. Those with Brown eyes need not worry- their eyes are ALREADY pigmented, and those with blue eyes have NO PIGMENT cells in the eye in which the product might cause a change.
  • This problem has only actually been seen to occur in patients using Lumigan for glaucoma- in which they were DELIBERATELY placing the product into their eyes- and even in this population, the risk was extremely low.

So, the bottom line is that if you have green or hazel eyes AND are unable to apply mascara without poking yourself in the eye because your hands shake or for some other reason, you are probably correct to avoid Latisse. Otherwise, I think your risks are VERY low.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Latisse does not change eye color

+1

Latisse has never been shown to change the eye color. When the original drug was used as a treatment for Glaucoma, it was used as an eye drop, applied inside the eyelid. There were a small number of patients that reported a color change. Because of this, the FDA required the manufacturer to report this as a risk with Latisse since it has the same active ingredient.

However, when used as directed the side effects reported for Latisse are mostly limited to mild irritation. I have only heard positive feed back from the many patients I have prescribed Latisse for, and I have seen great results. My patients love Latisse!

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Latisse does not change eyecolor when properly used

+1

Latisse discloses a risk of eyecolor change from light brown to a darker brown, but this is extremely rare and more commonly associated with use of the medication as a drop in the eye to treat glaucoma. Blue eyes don't turn brown and brown eyes don't turn blue. When used as prescribed as Latisse, the medication is painted on the upper lid, not placed in the eye. The incidence of color change with this form of use exceedingly low.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to Latisse

+1

Latisse MAY turn eye color to brown ONLY if the product is applied to the surface of the eye for a prolonged period of time. It will not do so if applied only to the junction of the upper lid and its lashes as instructed by Allergan - the Latisse maker.

While a feverish race is on to find the next Latisse and despite many claims of growing lashes THERE IS AS YET NOTHING OUT THERE that does it. So - your choices - heavy mascara or fake lashes and nothing while waiting for the next Latisse OR using Latisse properly.

To learn EVERYTHING you need to know about Latisse, follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. Aldea