Proceed with Steroid Injections for a Mysterious Hard Lump After Rhinoplasty?

I had revision rhinoplasty one month ago to correct a droopy tip. On the lower bridge of my nose, just above the tip and a bit off to the left side a hard lump has formed. It is visible and palpable. I asked my surgeon what it was at my one month follow up and he said "I don't know. It could be scar tissue forming or it could be the edge of your cartilage. If it's still there in another month I'll inject it with steroids." Is it scar tissue? Will steroids be harmful if not?

Lump after rhinoplasty, know what it is before you treat

+1
Scar might respond to steroid after a secondary rhinoplasty, though an irregular edge on the cartilage will not. We would suggest that you take time to know what the situation is before you decide on the treatment.

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

I would suggest that your surgeon have a proper diagnosis before injecting steroids in the nose. There is no reason to inject steroids into the "lump" if it is cartilage and your surgeon under direct examination should be able to determine the difference between scar tissue and cartilage. Secondly you are to soon post operative to be injecting steroids in my personal opinion. Rhinoplasty surgery does take some time to heal and the swelling dissipates over many months. I would discuss the above listed concerns in length with your surgeon and discuss the pros and cons of the suggested treatment. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD