Should I Proceed with Rhinoplasty with a Bacterial Infection on Face?

I'm scheduled for Revision Rhinoplasty in ten days. I've had a recurring breakout on my face and the dermatologist cultured it last week-- lab reports show it's gram negative bacteria called "Acinetobacter," also a nasal swab culture indicated "Enterobacter aerogenes." Dermatologist put me on Cipro for both. Should I postpone the rhinoplasty until the bacteria is resolved? I'm very worried! Should I see an infectious disease specialist about these strange "bugs?"

Risk of Facial Bacterial Infection Prior to Rhinoplasty

+2

You and your physicians will ultimately make the decision about doing the rhinoplasty despite positive bacterial cultures, but I would not do the operation until the infection was eliminated. Although very unlikely, an infection of the nasal bones would require several weeks of IV antibiotics to treat the osteomyelitis. Why take any chances?

Treat infection before having Rhinoplasty

+2

I'd follow the Dermatologist's advice about seeing an ID MD for this infection, but no need to risk spreading anything to your nose by having a Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, it's safest to wait a few weeks after everything is cleared up before having the Rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Rhinoplasty Timing

+2

I would recommend that you make sure that your infection is fully treated prior to proceeding with Rhinoplasty.   Elective cosmetic surgery is not appropriate when such a negative variable is in play.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

No

+2

Get care for the infection and make sure it is cleared up. I would want you to be off antibiotics and asymptomatic for at least 3 to 6 weeks before a rhinoplasty

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Rhinoplasty and Bacterial Infection

+2

It is generally not wise to proceed with any elective cosmetic operation when a bacterial infection is present. You have one type of  bacteria from the nasal swab that is not a normal contaminant of the nose and could cause a nasal infection in the area of the rhinoplasty. And if you also have a bacterial infection of the face that is not yet controlled, it, too, could lead to a nasal infection. I'd let your rhinoplasty surgeon know about this; he probably will want to postpone your nasal surgery until the infections are gone.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Facial Infection Pre-operatively

+1

It is unwise to have a rhinoplasty if you have a facial infection.  That situation will lead to a high chance of getting an infection of your rhinoplasty.

Treat the facial infection first.  Then, only after it is full resolved and re-evaluated by our board certified plastic surgeon  should the rhinoplasty be performed.

Skin infection before rhinoplasty

+1

This is something you should discuss with your surgeon.  Infections are very very rare after rhinoplasty, especially when no implants are used.

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php