What Procedures Do You Recommend After Losing 100 Pounds?

I'm 23 yrs. old, 5'5" tall and 145 pounds. My maximum weight was 250 lbs. I started to go on a diet about 6 yrs. ago, I lost 60 pounds within 6 months, recently I lost the rest of the weight. I have loose skin and stretch marks on my arms and stomach and some fat in between my inner thighs that diet and exercise can't take off. I have seen 3 plastic surgeons in Southern California and they have all given me different recommendations from full tummy tuck to lipo only. What would be the best?

Plastic surgery after 100 pound weight loss!

+2

Congratulations on achieving such a feat! After a large amount of weight loss there is excess skin, stretch marks, loss of skin elasticity, and abdominal muscle weakness. I would recommend a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, liposuction of the arms with a short scar brachioplasty (arm lift), and liposuction of the medial thighs with a thigh lift. Because of the stretch marks in the arms and skin excess, I don't believe liposuction alone would work. 

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring After Weight Loss

+2

Dear Roxy,

Congratulations on your weight loss! I would recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in body contouring after massive weight loss. A tummy tuck, liposuction of the arms with or without a limited arm lift, and liposuction of the thighs with or without a thigh lift may be options to consider. Choosing which procedures are best for you depends on your goals and expectations, as well as the amount of excess fat and skin you have, the quality of your skin, and your overall health.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Get a few more opinions and consider your options.

+1
Normally with that much weight loss, a tummy tuck and other lift procedures would be appropriate, and liposuction may not be recommended in case it made any already loose skin even looser. However, there are a few things to consider in this instance. First, your photo from the side doesn’t show a lot of loose skin on your belly at all, and even from the front the fatty deposits look minimal and your skin is in good condition. Secondly, you’re very young, and it’s normally better to wait until after you’re done having children before pursuing a tummy tuck since pregnancy may undo the positive effects of the surgery. I do think your arms may benefit from a lift, however, as there is some visible laxity that could be improved with surgery. Definitely consult a few more surgeons until you find one you feel very comfortable with before moving forward.

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Liposuction Only

+1

Because you're young and of child bearing age, I would recommend against an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) until after pregnancy if you are planning on having children. In fact, I would recommend liposuction only to young women prior to pregnancy. Because of the weight fluctuations related to pregnancy, the tummy tuck would essentially become "undone" and would require revisions if you became pregnant.

With SmartLipo, skin tightening can occur which can avoid the need for incisions in many cases.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after weight loss

+1

Congratulations! From looking at your photos, I would agree with many of the other surgeons in saying that liposuction alone will not get you the results you want. This is true for most weight loss patients because liposuction will not remove or tighten excess skin. There are many post-weight loss procedures available to help you reshape your body. Some to consider include tummy tuck, arm lift, thigh lift, and breast lift. Visit a qualified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and be sure he or she addresses each of your aesthetic goals. Good luck!

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

After Losing 100 Pounds, The Gold Standard Surgery Is A Full Tummy Tuck

+1

You should be very proud of yourself, and for all the weight you lost, the pictures of your body look exceptional. 

At this point, to stabilize the loose skin that exist all over your body, the gold standard procedure would be a lower body lift.  This is a combination of a full tummy tuck and the backside of the tummy tuck which elevates your buttocks and lateral thighs.  The combination of these two procedures also eliminates most of the loose skin on the inner thigh as well as the anterior thigh.  The circumferential lift will pull the loose skin off your mid back, your buttocks and your thighs.  It will put your mons pubis and vulva back to where a 23 year old's should be. 

A well done surgery with scars kept beneath your bikini line and with a great looking belly button will allow you to face the world and also be intimate without an overwhelming and nagging sense of insecurity. 

Your arms and your breasts should be addressed as well, but first stabilize the skin on the core of your body.  If cost is an issue, the gold standard procedure for someone with a 100 pound weight loss is always the full tummy tuck.     

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery after successful weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your successful weight loss program!  If your tummy area has loose skin then abdominoplasty may be necessary to give you the results that you desire after such a significant weight loss.  Brachioplasty may be an option for your arms if you have a large flap of excess skin in the upper arm area.  If the area in the inner thighs is just fat accumulation, liposuction may be the answer.  If it is excess skin, then there is a procedure called thighplasty that may better.  Good luck!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Body contouring procedures after 100 lb weight loss

+1

Based on your photos and the amount of weight loss, it seems you would benefit most from a tummy tuck, which would remove the excess skin.  This is difficult to determine based on photos alone, but I'm concerned that if you just had liposuction performed, this would worsen your loose skin.  The only way to address loose skin is to remove it (tummy tuck).

I recommend consulting with one or two more board certified plastic surgeons in your area until you are comfortable with the surgeon and their surgical plan.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Weight Loss 100+ pounds

+1

Weight loss although very healthy for the body when it is a large number it can leave some deformities behind. Once someone loses weight around 100 pounds, defiantly they will have some loose skin in the abdomen and flanks area and also there may be some loss in the buttock contouring as well. Depending on what the expectation of the patient is operation on the side can be a combination of abdominoplasty with liposuction, extended abdominoplasty with liposuction or a circumferential lipectomy which will incorporate a buttock lift and augmentation to the abdominoplasty. The other parts of the body that will be affected from weight loss are the arms, the thighs, and the breast. Depending on the breast size, breasts usually present itself with the droopiness, it may be a breast lift and augmentation. Arms are an operation called brachioplasty which will have a scar in the inner portion of the arm, and for the thighs we perform a medial thigh lift. These procedures, depending on the health status of the patient can be done at the same time or they can be staged.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Skin Removal Is Necessary For Body Contouring After Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! When considering any type of body contouring after such weight loss, you need to realize that skin has to be removed as part of any procedure to be effective. Your fat contribution to your current shape is now minimal due to your weight loss. Your stretched out skin is now the major problem and must be removed to make a difference. Whether this is the arms or the stomach, the trade-off will be a scar. That must be considered carefully with the skin excess is more moderate in amount. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD