What Procedures Are Needed Before Having a Office-based Neck Lift?

What are some of the concerns regarding having a neck lift in an office-based surgery center rather than a traditional hospital?

Office Based Plastic Surgery

+1

Thank you for being pro-active and seeking out answers prior to moving forward with the neck lift you have been considering. My patients know that I don't believe in surprises and the more education and preparation prior to surgery the better the experience will be. Our primary goals are to maximize safety and optimize the results of your procedure. Therefore, we have specific instructions developed through years of experience for each of our interventions.  Paying attention to the details, will make sure your surgery is a sucess wherever you have it performed. Several general guidelines concerning modifications to your usual medication and herbal supplement regimen are relevant to all invasive interventions and implemented when necessary.  For most “no downtime”, non-invasive procedures, little change in lifestyle or medical workup is required.  However, for surgical interventions such as a neck lift , our care coordinator would guide you through the steps necessary for an uneventful and rewarding experience.  Preoperative laboratory and diagnostic testing is routinely required to undergo safe anesthesia, and occasionally further medical workup is prudent.  As safety is our primary concern, procedures requiring deep sedation or general anesthesia are only performed in facilities accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JAHCO) or Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).  Depending on the level of anesthesia required for your neck lift, these same standards should be meet by your surgeon.  Additionally, the anesthesiologists utilized should be same ones your surgeon would select to anesthetize his loved ones with years of experience and a commitment to your comfort. 

I hope this helps. Take care

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having Cosmetic Surgery in an Office-Based Setting

+1

As an Oculofacial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon operating in an "office-based" setting in New York, I can tell you from experience our primary goal is safety first in all procedures performed in our offices. To assure the utmost safety and compliance with the highest surgical standards (on par with that of a hospital) we have built state-of-the-art surgical facilities in both our Manhattan and Garden City, NY facilities. Our surgical suites and exam rooms are accredited by the Joint Commission, recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards. Compared to a hospital, I wanted to provide my clients with the individualized attention and care they deserve when opting to do cosmetic surgery. Aside from where you get your surgery done, it is also important decide on your cosmetic surgeon. Experience and qualifications are a must. You should get a "caring, compassionate, and professional" sense from the surgeon as well as the staff and the office environment. In order to achieve this goal, I work with the most qualified and attentive staff and I have invested in my state-of- the-art facilities to provide a cutting edge care in a comfortable environment.

Web reference: http://prasadcosmeticsurgery.com/dr-prasad/accredited-surgical-facilities/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Outpatient neck lift

+1

As long as you are healthy and the surgery is being performed in a certified surgery center the risk is minimal.  IV sedation is typically safer than general anesthesia and is preferred.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/face_lift.php

Procedures needed before undergoing a neck lift

+1

Elective cosmetic surgery is usually not performed in a hospital setting but in outpatient surgery centers.  The center should be a certified ambulatory surgery center, by an entity such as Medicare.  A board certified physician anesthesiologist in attendance during the surgery to monitor anesthesia.  A pre-operative appointment to review your health history and confirm you are indeed a candidate for elective surgery should be done a few weeks prior to surgery.  Any labs or tests needed will be determined at that time.

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

+1

You may want to be sure that you are having your Neck Lift done in an accredited surgical facility.  While this is mandatory, here in California and some other states, it's not the case everywhere in the US.  You should have a medical clearance before any surgery, IMO.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Neck lift

+1

The hospital has more equipment for complex surgeries and for sick patients.  For a neck lift (or for our trademarked U-Lift), office-based surgeries are excellent and safe locations if you are basically healthy.  You would need a pre-operative evaluation which is standard for surgery done in any location.  Assuming that everything checks out, then there is no benefit to having your surgery done in a hospital.  Make sure your surgeon and anesthesiologist are board-certified. 

Web reference: http://www.facialinstitute.com

Office based procedures

+1

Great question. I do a lot of office based procedures in my practice. That being said, I am very thorough in the screening process to make certain that the patient is a good candidate for a procedure in the office under local. The first step is to do a thorough history and physical exam. It is critical to make sure that the patient is in good health before doing a procedure in the office. Depending on patient age and overall health, I will usually check labs. If the patient has a condition such as hypertension I will request medical clearance from the patient's primary care provider. I also like to make sure the patient does not have any neck or back pain, anxiety or panic disorder, or any other condition that will make the surgical experience under local anesthetic miserable.

Another thing to consider is the experience level of not only the surgeon, but the staff in the office that you are considering. Doing cases under local requires special attention to patient comfort and the entire process must be very organized and efficient. If the office is not experienced, the procedure can take an unnecessarily long amount of time and can result in a significant amount of discomfort.

I have a lot of patients who are great candidates for procedures under local in the office who have had great experiences with minimal recovery time. However, I am very thorough in explaining the process and screening the patient to ensure that they no what to expect and are comfortable with it.

+1

A complete medical examination with blood/urine tests. Possible EKG if over 40 years of age. Best to ask your chosen surgeon their rerquirements. 

Test prior to surgery

+1

A patient that is planning on having an office based procedure should be in the best of health, better than one that is having the same  procedure done in the hospital. A good history and physical by the surgeon should be done so that he or she can become aware of the patient's medical condition and determine what test are needed for anyone whom they are planning an operation. If  you are not communicating with the doctor who is going to do the operation it is not a safe place. 

Web reference: http://www.graciaplasticsurgeon.com

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift and Pre Operative Work Up?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will,  based on your past medical history and specific concerns,  ask you to do certain testing and/or bloodwork. This preoperative workup should not differ whether the procedures done in the office “surgery center"  or the hospital.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_necklift.htm