Are There Procedures That Don't Give Away That You've Had Work Done?

I'm thinking that there are some procedures that a person like me can undertake w/o fear that anybody will be able to tell that I had something done... ie... chin implant, jaw implant, etc.. but the procedures that involve the cutting of skin and pulling scare me. I am in the public eye with my job and if anybody detects even the slightest hint of plastic surgery - I'm screwed! If my eye's look at all done - I mind as well quit my job as a trial lawyer. You know what I mean?

Plastic surgery results should be natural

+1

Find a surgeon who has performed thousands of facial cosmetic surgeries and has an artistic eye. Look at the surgeon’s before and after photo gallery for results that are natural and include eyelids, facelifts, and nose jobs. The important thing is to note that the patients look very natural, not windswept or look like they have been caught in the headlights. Look for a facial plastic surgeon who has many years of experience, is board certified, and performs surgery in an accredited surgery center with a board-certified anesthesiologist in attendance during the anesthesia portion of it.

Plastic surgery and tell tale signs

+1

I am ssuming you are mainly concerned about your face. Obviously in the early post-op period, most people would appreciate that you had surgery. The incisions for a facelift can be camouflaged rather well in most cases. But, if you absolutely do not want anyone to know, than I recommend not having anything done.

Natural Plastic surgery without Anyone Knowing

+1

A goal in plastic surgery to achieve a change in form or function. As a result, when one analyzes plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery results, one should notice a difference. The first step is to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon who specializes in the potential treatments you are considering. He/she then may be able to guide you on an appropriate treatment that minimizes downtime and maximizes the results, without being too obvious. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fear of obvious plastic surgery

+1

In many instances, plastic surgery is done to achieve a noticeable difference. In fact, many patients specifically express a desire for an obvious and noteable change and are proud of their new look. Heidi Montag is one such example. In instances where you can "re-invent" yourself such as a move or transition from high school to college this is easy to achieve without being "found out". However, in an environment of stable employment this is more difficult. Very subtle plastic surgery can be accomplished but, more often than not, this prompts a response of "I paid you for your services and I don't see difference!" Fillers and non-surgical interventions are likely to produce less noticeable changes but they may in insufficient to achieve the more dramatic results that are required.

Having Plastic Surgery Without Anyone Knowing

+1

Most major plastic surgery procedure involve an incision and downtime from work. However, if everything goes well, you should look very natural with little evidence of having surgery. In most cases, I recommend changing something else about your look to distract people from thinking that you had surgery - change your hair color, wear contacts instead of glasses, etc. There are minor procedures such as dermal fillers and Botox that can make you look refreshed if done in moderation. You don't have to have plastic surgery. If you are that worried, then don't have any surgery. Also, make sure that you are having surgery because YOU want it. If you are doing it for someone else and you are not completely excited about the idea, then you probably will not end up being happy. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Plastic Surgery Procedures That Won't Find You in Contempt of Natural Appearance Court

+1

Hi,

Great question counselor. Any procedure that we do in plastic surgery, that is done properly, should not be obvious. It doesn't matter whether it is lip or breast augmentation, Botox or facelift; if you can tell that something has been done, then it is unnatural and not well done (see the Housewifes of (you name the city)).

Fraxel repair laser skin rejuvenation is an excellent treatment to look younger, fresher, and healthier, without tipping anyone off that you've "had something done". After 10 to 14 days you look as if you have returned from a relaxing "sun vacation" with slight bronzing of your skin.

The current April 2010 Vogue magazine has an article about Fraxel repair laser entitled, "Facelift Revisited". See the link below. As with any cosmetic procedure, especially those on your face, choose your treating physician most carefully. See you at the next side bar counselor.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Good plastic surgery should not "look done".

+1

Chin implants will not be noticeable at all to the public. As for eyelids, forehead lifts and facelifts, these should not show scars or look at all pulled. Look at the surgeons live patients as well as before and after photos. If they don't look natural, you are in the wrong place!

Natural plastic surgery

+1

You ask a common question in a way that is in reality the complete opposite of how a question should be asked in plastic surgery. There is a perception that a procedure produces a certain result or look. I have always contended that the procedure is servant to the goal. That is, you do a surgery to produce the look you want. if you want a subtle change, you do the surgery that achieves that. If you want a more dramatic change, you do the things that will give you the dramatic change. For example, chin implants come is hundreds of size, shapes, and dimensions.

Think about what you want to achieve, just like in trial, and then do the surgery or treatment that will achieve that goal. It's called customization.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD