Procedures for droopy eyelids? (photo)

I am noticing that my eyelids are starting to droop (it runs in my family).  What do you recommend for someone my age - 41?  Are there any other procedures other than surgery that would help? 

Droopy eyelids are a problem

+1

If your eyelashes are holding up your eyelids, if your eye shadow is hidden underneath a fold of skin, or if you can pick up the skin to say hello, chances are you have droopy eyelids. Surgery can remove that excess skin. If this runs in your family, you know where it eventually will go with time . I see no reason to wait for surgery until Medicare will cover it. Do something while you are still young enough to see and enjoy it. The surgery can often be done just in office under local anesthesia. Non-surgical treatments ? BOTOX can elevate the brow, by relaxing the brow depressors, but this requires repetitive treatments. Thermage is a one-time nonsurgical option that can sometimes give a pretty result, but less reliably than surgery.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

3 aging factors contributing to heavy upper eyelids

+1

Everybody is different and age differently. I cannot comment specifically for you without seeing a photo. In general, there are three separate aging factors that contribute to heavy upper eyelids. 1) eyelid ptosis, where the eyelid itself droops, needing ptosis surgery where the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelid is tightened; 2) upper eyelid loose extra skin, needing upper blepharoplasty to remove excess skin; 3) droopy eyebrows, with crowding of the upper eyelids, needing eyebrow lifting. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Procedures for droopy eyelids?

+1

Skin only upper blepharoplasty may be helpful, but it would be difficult to determine this by description alone. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and eyelid surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

If have a true ptosis, you would need surgery to correc that.

+1

Pictures would help to make a recommendation, but in ptosis, the lid height drops so that the lid margin is close to the pupil. This can make you appear tired. To correct this, a surgical repair is done to tighten the muscle, which will elevate the drooping lid. This can be done through a skin incision, or from the underside of the eyelid.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty for droopy eyelids

+1

The primary goal for upper lid blepharoplasty is to remove excess skin and a small amount of fatty deposits present. The incision is located in the upper eyelid crease and very fine dissolvable sutures are used to close the incision. The procedure can be performed under local or general anesthesia. For examples please see the link below

Procedure For Correction Of Droopy Eyelids

+1

You have described excess tissue of the eyelids. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an evaluation to discuss corrective surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Photos would be invaluable.

+1

Unfortunately BOTOX is not of great value if you have actual upper eyelid ptosis. Eyelid ptosis is when the actual eyelid margin (where the eye lashes live) begin to fall. Other conditions are often confused for ptosis. The most common of these is heaviness of the upper eyelid fold which is associated with brow ptosis (fall or heaviness of the eyebrow and forehead). True upper eyelid ptosis is best addressed as a surgical condition. A very careful assessment needs to be performed to determine which ptosis procedure is right for you. Generally you will need to see an oculoplastic specialist for this type of surgery. Some facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeon offer this type of work. Please recognize that this is not the focus of their training and generally they lack even the appropriate equipment (the slit lamp) necessary for examining the eye. In the bay area, I generally recommend Dr. Rona Silkiss or Dr. Stuart Seiff but their are many other well qualified oculoplastic surgoens in the Bay Area as well.

Treatment of droopy eyelids.

+1

The usual treatment for droopy eyelids at your age is either at upper blepharoplasty or a fore head brow lift. If the eyebrows are too low that a fore head lift will kill two birds with one stone. Otherwise the upper blepharoplasty would be indicated. I need to see pictures to give you a proper answer.

Consider eyelid surgery

+1

Droopiness of the upper eyelids and puffiness of the lower eyelids are two of the most common complaints that bring people to consider eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty).

While Botox can temporarily lift the eyebrows and upper eyelids to improve their appearance, eyelid surgery and/or brow lift surgery may be a better longer term solution.

For puffiness of the lower eyelids, a soft tissue filler can help camouflage uneven contours, lasting 6 months or more.

Topical skin care treatments including peels and various laser treatments are also helpful.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelids -- Surgery or Wait?

+1

Thank you for the great question. I assume that you are writing about your upper eyelids. With droopy upper lids, this can be related to extra skin or fat. In other cases, this can be from loosening of the muscle and connective tissue in the upper eyelids. In most cases, a relatively quick surgical procedure can be performed, often with local anesthesia. In terms of non-surgical treatments for the upper eyelids, some tightening can be achieved with facial peels or laser procedures. Best of luck moving forward!

#San Francisco Eyelid Surgery

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon