Best Procedures for Fixing Tuberous Breasts

I'm 16 and I'm pretty sure I have tuberous breasts. I hate them so much. I need to know how much it would cost to fix my breasts and what surgery? Also how old do I need to be? I'm feeling SO depresed.

Tuberous breast correction

+3

There are many different variants of tuberous breast or constricted breast developmental deformities.  You do have a variant of tuberous breast, with some areolar protrusion ("pseudoherniation" of the areola), large areolas, and a very short distance from your nipple to the inframammary fold with deficient tissue in the lower pole of the breast.  You also have a rather wide distance between your breasts.  You can benefit from a breast augmentation, but it should be performed by a surgeon experienced in dealing with turberous breasts. Your inframammary folds will need to be lowered (otherwise the nipples will be too low on the breast and be downpointing), and the tight "constricted" lower pole of the breast will need to be "released" by some scoring incisions on the undersurface of the breast tissue to allow it to expand under the weight of the implant.  The protrusion and large size of the areola that you have will benefit from a periareolar "telescoping" excision similar to a periareolar lift, leaving a scar surrounding each areola and helping to flatten the areola and reduce its size. In terms of timing, some surgeons would ahve you wait until 18 years of age, since patients younger than 18 are not supposed to undergo cosmetic breast augmentation, but since your case is somewhat reconstructive in nature, some surgeons would agree to operate while you are still under 18.

Correction of tuberous breasts

+2

Vanilla,

Tuberous breasts are not uncommon and there are procedures that can be performed to improve the look. In terms of when you can have surgery it depends. Some plastic surgeons would have you wait until at least 18 years old and others may perform surgery sooner. You are young to have implants but that is what will give you the better long term result to add some volume and try to improve symmetry. In my hands you would have a surgery that leaves a scar aroundeach areola in a circular or peri-areolar fashion. It is also important to note that your breasts are widely seperated and to some degree they will remain this way. I would recommend you schedule an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon nearby and have them examine you and give their advice.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Best procedures for fixing tuberous breasts?

+1
Thank you for your question!   The standard procedure for this deformity would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  You could likely get great results with an implant and possible breast lift.  Cost of the procedure will vary with geographic location as well as type of implant used - factors to consider are the surgeon fee, implant cost, anesthesia fee, and facility fee.  Given your age, you should also discuss with your parent/guardian and speak about your issues, while considering bringing them along to consultations.

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Fixing Tuberous Breasts at 16

+1

Based on the photograph, you would seem to be a candidate for a procedure to correct tuberous breasts.  Your breasts also appear asymmetric which may need to be corrected as well.  A thorough consultation including physical examination would be necessary to determine if you are a candidate as it is generally best to wait for full physical development.  During the consultation process the surgeon can also ascertain if you have the emotional stability/development to handle the surgery.  Family and/or friend support is also important. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast Surgery

+1

Thank you for posting your photos. Yes, it looks like you have tuberous breasts and a bit of breast asymmetry (very common).  I would ask that you wait a bit longer for full physical and emotional development (normally between 18-20 years of age).  In the meantime, do your research to find a surgeon with experience helping patients with your similar situation.  Tuberous Breasts have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of Tuberous Breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with.

Fixing tuberous breasts

+1

I recommend 2 to 3 stages or operations in your case. First, Implants of differing sizes (expander implants best) + right release of tuberous deformity and areolar reduction. After 3 months with healing a second operation to adjust areas.

From MIAMI

Timing for tuberous (constricted) breast deformity

+1

I would agree with Dr. Edwards on several points. At your age, it is possible that your breasts have not completed and achieved their mature size and shape.

Tuberous breasts

+1

You look like you have tuberous breasts.  You may still grow a bit more, and I would probably have you wait until you are about 18.  This can be repaired with implants, expanding the lower pole of the breast and reducing your areola.

Surgery for tuberous breasts

+1

In the tuberous breast deformity the skin of the lower half of the breast remains attached to the chest wall & does not grow with the remainder of the breast during puberty. The developing tissue in some cases may be forced into or herniate into the darker tissue surrounding the breast nipple (areola) &/or may be constricted at its base. The difference between this scenario & small breasts is that small breasts are symmetrically smaller with respect to the circumference & center of the breast. Your photo fits the above description.

The treatment involves correction of the hernia if present, release of the constricted base & correction of the lower attachment of the breast to the chest wall (inframammary or under the breast skin crease) with or without placement of a breast implant. If one merely places a breast implant without correcting the other problems the resulting breast will look far from normal. Specifically in your case that would involve

1. removing crescents of skin on the inner sides of the nipple areola complexes (left more than right) to realign the nipples with the mid-breast axis on each side-you want the nipples to point straight forward in the end
  2. cutting cross or star shaped patterns on the undersurface of the breast tissue to open them up so they are not so constricted at the bases
  3. possibly adjusting the size of the areola to a 4cm diameter
  4. raising the crease under the left breast with sutures so it is more level with the crease on the right
  5. placing breast implants to correct for the constrictive nature of the problem which will prevent breast growth

The main question is at what age would you do this. It is probably best to do this surgery when breast development is completed, i.e. between 16 and 18 years of age. The cost would depend on where you have the surgery done and who does it.

Aaron Stone, MD