What Are the Best Procedures to Fix Excess Skin on the Legs and Stomach?

I have lost 175lbs. After three years of trying everything I cannot get rid of the excess skin I am facing. As a male, walking around with excess skin on my stomach and legs has made me self concious. I recently visited a surgeon to dicuss a leg lift but he said the procedure is usually only effectiv for about a year and that scarring can open back easily. What can I do about the excess skin on my legs?

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

Those patients who have lost a lot of weight (over 100 lb) tend to have remaining excess skin in the abdominal, love handles & inner thigh areas. Some also have extra hanging skin in the upper arm area &/or chest. There may also be remaining significant amounts of fat in some areas. Clearly operating on all these areas at one time would be too much surgery. I prefer to tackle the largest area first i.e. the abdomen & love handles by performing an abdominoplasty - tummy tuck & outer thigh & buttock lift or belt lipectomy. This is a lengthy procedure by itself that I perform in the hospital if the resection is extensive. The patient stays in the hospital for 1 to 2 days.

The abdominoplasty - tummy tuck & outer thigh & buttock lift involves the removal of a circumferential section of skin that lies under what is normally covered by underwear or a bathing suit. The remaining scar lies across the lower abdomen and just above the buttocks on the back. If the skin excision is designed appropriately this procedure will also tighten the thigh skin to some degree which can lessen the need for or degree of thigh surgery required and is another reason why I like to do this first.

6 or more months later 1 or 2 of the following - chest, inner thighs, upper arms - can be addressed as well as any liposuction or touch ups that may be needed on the first procedure. In most cases only 2 or 3 procedures are required.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.