Which procedures would I benefit from the most between a tummy tuck or lipo or both? (photo)

Hello I am a 22 year old female and mother of 3. I am 5'10 in height and weigh between 220 to 235 lbs. I checked my BMI 3 months ago and it was 39. I have tried diets, excercise, and every diet pill fad out there and combinations of those as well. Because of my inability to lose the weight my back hurts constantly. My question is which procedure would I benefit from the tummy tuck, liposuction, or both? Am I even a candidate for these procedures? Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

Liposuction or tummy tuck

+1
  • A tummy tuck may help back pain by repairing muscle and removing the heavy abdominal skin and fat. 
  • Flank liposuction can be done at the same time. 
  • Ask your surgeon if you also have an umbilical hernia. 
  • Your BMI puts you at risk of blood clots. You should have heparin before surgery.
  • Liposuction will not help the pain and results will be temporary,
  • Ideally you would lose 50 pounds before a tummy tuck - but this doesn't sound possible. . Best wishes.

Which procedures would I benefit from the most between a tummy tuck or lipo or both?

+1
The tummy tuck would be able to address loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall, but some weight loss would place you at a lower risk.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Sorry -- but you need to diet first

+1

A 39 BMI is way to high- you will need to get your BMI below 30 - then perhaps a tummy tuck with some flank liposuction will help --- but any surgery with you at your current weight will be like flushing your money down the toilet.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck V Liposuction

+1
Hi,
Once you have stabilised your body weight, and have an healthy lifestyle, a Tummy Tuck would benefit you, rather than Liposuction, as there is a clear excess of the skin envelope.
Hope this helps, best of luck
warm regards
prashant

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Which procedure-lipo or tummy tuck?

+1
You definitely need a tummy tuck.  It would be advisable for you to reach and maintain an ideal weight prior to surgery.  I would not recommend that you have liposuction first as it will not produce an aesthetically acceptable result.   Best wishes for the new year!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Which procedure is best right now

+1
I think that you should get on a weight loss plan and exercise regimen and lose weight first. More than likely you will benefit from a tummy tuck at that point rather than liposuction.

Weight loss first then consider liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs.  He certainly can have liposuction but you will be left with a great deal of loose skin.  If you choose liposuction then I would wait 6 months to a year before having a tummy tuck to remove the loose skin.

The best option for you would be to lose as much weight as you can and evaluate whether a combination tummy tuck and liposuction is possible after your weight loss.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Would I Benefit From A Tummy Tuck Or Liposuction?

+1
Thank you for your question and pictures.  Based on your pictures and the information you provided, you would be an excellent candidate for both a tummy tuck and liposuction.

I encourage my patients to make every effort to try to achieve a stable, ideal body weight prior to undergoing surgery.  This usually assures the optimal result.  Realistically, however, this is a very difficult goal and patients will often choose to pursue a tummy tuck and/or liposuction after an unsuccessful attempt at weight loss.  In this case, an excellent result can still be achieved.  While these procedures are not designed specifically to achieve weight loss, this will still occur.  Additionally, a new body image can be a powerful motivator to seek a healthy lifestyle!

Best wishes going forward

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your history and pictures, you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point. Liposuction surgery is often used as a tool during this procedure. Best to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding however.  Make sure that you have exhausted all types of professional help ( medical, nutritionists, personal trainers etc.).

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Having the procedure performed when you are “overweight”, exposes you to additional risks  around the time of surgery and increases your risk that additional surgery may be necessary down the line for a multitude of reasons.   I hope this, and the attached link, helps.