What Procedure Was Used Here?

Hello, I wanted to know the name of the procedure that was done on this patient to decrease the size and bulkiness of her alar side wall ( the skin surrounding her nostrils). I noticed that the width of her alar base hasn't changed, so I'm guessing this was not an alar base reduction? Thanks.

What was done

+6

Being the surgeon who performed this procedure I can tell you exactly what was done:

1. Hump reduction
  2. Osteotomies
  3. Spreader grafts
  4. Columellar strut
  5. Cephalic trim of alar cartilages
  6. Suture contouring of alar cartilages
  7. Minor tip graft
  8. Minor alar base reduction

Nostril Modifications in Rhinoplsty is customized approach

+2

Nostril base modifications have different goals in each patient.  It can be designed to reduce nasal flare without modifying nasal base, or designed to change both, or designed to modify nasal base only.  These procedures are collectively grouped under term of " Weirs Procedures".  This patient thus had Weir's Procedure customized to her surgical goal.    

Vasdev Rai, MD

Treatment of nasal tip sidewalls

+2

It appears that overall the surgeon has done a nice job. The nasal hump has been decreased to give a nice profile improvement. If you look at the tip itself it has been subtly raised to give a definite refined improvement. The alar thinning and narrowing was achieved most likely by a combination of resection / reduction and suturing of the alar cartilages.

Rhinoplasties must be viewed with the proper expectations. Perfection is rarely achieved in any surgery and even more rarely in rhinoplasties as millimeters can make a difference. Scar tissue and healing variables are really out of the control of the patient or surgeon. This case makes that point nicely. Perfection of result is not seen here, but an excellent cosmetic result is seen nonetheless. 

Jay Burns, MD

Side wall narrowing

+2

To accomplish alar narrowing as you pictures show, the lower lateral cartilages must be treated. This done either by resection or sutures or sometimes both.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplaty question

+1

First, the photos are not the same. The pre-op ones are taken to closely to enlarge the look of the nose, and the angle at least from the frontal view is different.  Without seeing an op-report it owuld be hard to say.