Turkey Neck Plastic Surgery if Prone to Keloids

I am a 54 year old female and also am concerned because I develop keloids. Can you help? Thanks in advance.

Consider a comprehensive necklift as part of a facelift

+3

In order to resculpt a "turkey neck" you should consider a through neck lift in conjuction with a lower facelift. Excess fat will be removed and the platysma muscle tightened. In addition, some patients have quite a bit of fat deep to this muscle. This deep fat is not available for liposuction and need to be partially removed if further definition is desired.

I would recommend to see at least a couple of facelift surgeons. You will learn a lot from your consultations. The outcome after face and necklift can vary greatly depending on your surgeons expertise and technical excellence!

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Have a facelift and postoperative care of your scars

+3

One of the worst named procedures in our specialty is the "Face lift." Contrary to what many people believe, it does not mean lifting the whole face. A face lift rejuvenates the lower face and neck, and is surely what you need to tighten your neck skin and muscles.

In face lift patients, keloids are usually not a problem with the scars in front of the ears, but can sometimes be seen in the scars behind the ears. Your surgeon will know of treatments you can do to minimize scarring, like steroid injections and silicone gels. You should do fine having the surgery and meticulous post op management of your scars. Go for it!!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need a cheeck and neck lift

+2

You would benefit greatly from a properly done cheek and neck lift to remove the extra fat in your neck, tighten the muscles in the neck, lift the cheeks back up vertically and gently redrape and remove the extra skin creating a natural look. Check the kind of results that are possible at www.randcosmeticsurgery.com.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

You need a two layer, comprehensive face and neck lift.

+2

Hi Barbara! Don't be intimidated by the description. Most people are back at work in 2 weeks.

1) Nothing less will help you. You need correction of excess skin, exces fat, and hanging neck muscles. Either do it right or decide that you are going to leave yourself alone. You will be disappointed with any partial or "minimally invasive" procedure. For your anatomy,these are just marketing terms.

2) Don't worry about the scars, Caucasian patients don't make keloids in the face and neck, even when they form keloids on their body. In over 20 years, I have never seen it. The face and neck are priviledged areas of the skin. With well performed surgery, face and neck lift scars are not noticeable.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You will need a full facelift and liposuction of the neck.

+2

See an experienced plastic surgeon who does a lot of facelifts. You will need a facelift with liposuction and possibly eyelid or forehead surgery. Avoid catchy names and infomercials. In more than 30 years of facial plastic surgery, I have never had a patient with your skin color develop keloids on the face.

Turkey Neck Options

+1

The good news is that keloids rarely occur in facial surgery, and rarer still with a Facelift procedure.  I would recommend a composite Facelift with an aggressive approach toward the neck.  The neck portion of the procedure is likely to require removal of fat from above and below the platysmal muscle, partial or complete division of the platysma muscle and surgical tightening of the muscle (platysmaplasty). Poor scarring in a Facelift is generally associated with inappropriate tension of the skin coupled with underdone soft tissue work.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and keloids

+1

Do you form true keloids or just hypertrophic scarring.  I would avoid it if it is the former but you could go ahead if you just are prone to heypertrophic scars as long as your surgeon wathches you carefully.

Neck surgery or Neck lift with a history of keloid scars.

+1

Elective surgery is usually frowned upon if patients have recalcitrant keloids.  However, most plastic surgeons would be inclined to assess the quality and etiology of your scars before excluding any further surgery, such as a neck lift. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Avoiding Keloid in neck lifts

+1

In proper hands you could achieve quite a dramatic result from a neck lift.  There are a number of issues your surgeon ought to consider, such as fatty layer correction, muscle re-tightening and of course removing excess skin.  It takes talent and expertise to do it properly.

I have performed a large number of neck lifts in patients that tend to form Keloid. The are of concern is Keloid formation around the ears.  Proper surgical technique and vigilant postoperative care with appropriate intervention can allow for good healing without distorting Keloid.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Keloids occur less in the facial area and certain ethnicities are more prone

+1

It really depends on where you develop keloids. Areas of high movement such as the knees, and shoulders are more likely to develop keloids. The high part of the chest is another area that has a predilection for keloid production. If you developed keloid in these prone areas the chances are that you develop keloids to the facial area are probably a lot less.

You are caucasian based on the pictures, which leads me to believe that you are probably less likely to develop keloids in your face and neck area. But you may be a rare case and more details about your keloid formation would help someone decide. The options for improving your turkey neck include liposuction which will give you some mild to moderate improvement. A formal neck lift (or necklift / platysmaplasty / lower face lift ) can entail only small incisions under your chin and behind your ear and hide very well and really improve your turkey neck (or submental fat, double chin / neck laxity / neck bands / fatty neck).

Others have used lasers to tighten up the skin to a minimal degree. But if you really want some results, I would do a more formal procedure and it can make a world of difference!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon