What Procedure Best Suits Me if I Were to Get my Eyelids Done?

I'm interested in getting my eyelids done. I have excess skin on my lid and inherited small asian eyes from my father's side. All 5 of my aunts got their eyes done, but I noticed through time their eyelids begin to sag and/or the crease isn't as evident as it was before. Can this be avoided? Which procedure best suits me? How much will this cost? How long is recovery time? What are the pros/cons? details please :D Thank you.

Asian eyelid surgery. Techniques. Pros and cons

In general Asian eyelid surgery is performed and less than an hour under local anesthesia.   Suture technique and incision technique are the 2 primary techniques but sometimes the to techniques can be combined.  The healing time is roughly 7-14 days depending on the patient with sutures being removed on the seventh day for incision technique.

Suture technique can have Less downtime but is less reliable Then the incision technique overall long period of time.

The cost in the United States ranges from $2000-$4000.  The cost in China varies widely from a few $100-$8000 and large Metropolitan areas.  In my own experience I can tell you that good reputable clinics are a little bit difficult to find in China and enlarged cities such as Shanghai and Beijing the cost can be more than what it is in the United States.

Most patients simply want to make natural changes or improve asymmetries.  It's always best to get consults from experts in this particular type of surgery because not only is Asian eyelid anatomy different from non-Asian eyelid anatomy the anatomy from one Asian person to the next varies widely.  We are all well aware that Asians from different parts of the world can look dramatically different from one another and their internal anatomy of the eyelid can vary widely also.

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon
Asian eyelid surgery specialist

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery

An in-person consultation is best to assess your eyelids and your goals.  As we age, the skin changes, so sagging of the upper eyelid skin is expected for everyone.  However, if the crease is anchored well, it should remain.  Generally two weeks of recovery should suffice.  It is best to discuss the details with a board certified specialist who can assist you further.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Asian Blepharoplasty options

It's very difficult to give you a complete treatment options based just one photo. First it appears you have eye brow asymmetry (left side higher) and very low or hidden upper eyelid crease. I am not sure based on the photo how much excessive upper eyelid skin that you have. With limited information, I suggest a upper blepharoplasty with anchoring of desired upper eyelid crease fold and very limited skin excision (if any). Typical recovery is about two weeks for the swelling and bruising to subside. It's best to discuss pros and cons during a face to face consultation as well as determining the fees for your surgery.

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Asian blepharoplasty best suited for asian eyelids

Upper blepharoplasty is done for redundant excess skin and fat on the upper lids through incisions placed in the supraorbital crease and is very well hidden. More definition of the upper eyelid crease can be performed in Asian blepharoplasty known as the Westernization procedure, which cost $3,000 to $4,000.   Allow two weeks for recovery.