Which Procedure is Best for my Situation? Tummy Tuck or Liposculpture?

I'm a 25 year old female that is 5'7 and I currently weigh 142lbs. After having my son, my stomach hasn't returned to it's original state. I do have some excess skin but I feel that it isn't significant enough to warrant a tummy tuck, however, I am not an expert so I'd appreciate any thoughts. Although my stretch marks are a concern for me, my main objective is to have a toned stomach with minimal to no scarring.

I might send you packing

+3

Anon,

I am inclined to say that I might not recommend any surgery for you.  Your goal is to have a toned abdomen, which you already have.  Liposuction will not help the stretch marks and might minimally improve your "tone".  Tummy tuck surgery will not remove all of the stretch marks and might minimally improve your "tone".  Overall, I think you have a great abdomen (at least from this picture) and I would probably leave it alone.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://francisnyplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty.asp

Mini Tummy Tuck Not Liposuction Best To Tone Tummy

+2

Thank you for your question. You appear to be in excellent shape with minimal excess fat on your body.

Although a personal examination or closer photographs of your abdomen would be ideal, from your photograph it appears you do have some excess skin on your lower abdomen.

If this is the case then a mini tummy tuck will tighten your abdomen and help you improve your skin tone.

Liposuction will not significantly tightened your abdomen and will in fact make your stretch marks worse.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in tummy tuck and liposuction, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-tummy-tuck/boston-tummy-tuck-how-to-decide-if-you-need-an-abdominoplasty/

Liposuction versus tummy tuck for tummy

+2

Liposculpture will likely only make your stretch marks worse and will certainly not provide improved tone. A tummy tuck will remove excess skin and that is more likely to achieve an enhanced result but will not entirely remove the stretch marks nor will it tone your abdomen. IT will approximate your muscles so that exercise can enhance the appearance of your abdomen.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Abdominal stretch marks and scars are similar conditions

+2

Stetch marks and incisional scars are similar conditions. Both are scars that occur on opposite sides of the skin. I would consider a lower abdominal incision as a means to improve your abdominal contour at the same time eliminate some of your abdominal strech marks. This can be performed through a mini tummy tuck. From the limited perspective offered by the phot, I dont think that liposuction would provide the firm look you desire.

Miniabdominoplasty and smart liposuction may be best

+2

Which procedure is best depends upon how flat do you want to be and at what cost ( meaning incsion size). Looking at your photo you appear to have skin laxity and abdominal wall laxity with out a significant amount of excess fat. If your main concern is the loss of "tone" below the belly button I would advise a mini-abdominoplasty keeping the scar within the pubic hair. This will treat the muscle laxity and remove some of the lax skin. The upper abdomen and flanks can be contoured with liposuction, such as smart lipo. This leaves very small scars.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks are not helped by liposuction

+2

You've got a nice figure and you appear very fit. The substantial number of stretch marks along your central abdomen will not improve with liposuction. Liposuction will reduce the appearance of fat, and perhaps uncover some of the muscular definition you have. Ask yourself how much of an issue the stretch marks are for you- if they are a significant concern, then you should consider a tummy tuck. The issue in your case is that you do not have a lot of skin laxity, so it may not be possible to completely translocate your umbilical 'hole' all the way down to a low pelvic tummy tuck scar. A good plastic surgeon should be able to help you sort out these issues.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/tummy_tuck.php

Tummy tuck and no scars?

+1

Your stretch mark are located in your central abdomen and above your belly button. It is not possible to remove all of them. Stretch marks can only be removed with surgery.  Lipo is dependent on your skin quality and the issue is that stretch marks indicate poor residual elasticity in the skin. I dont think there will be an easy way out unfortunately. At some point in the future a tummy tuck will likely be the procedure for you.

Best surgery for abdomen

+1

If you want any type of skin tightening and improvement in stretch marks, a tummy tuck is the only way. Unfortunately, scarring results. If there was an alternative or better way to tighten the skin without incisions, of course we would be doing it. Liposuction removes fat only, it does not tighten skin. If you are happy with your contours, and your abdomen is pretty flat and toned otherwise, I would probably leave it alone. Non-invasive skin-tightening lasers and devices are not proven very effective. If you are planning on more children, I would wait until after childbearing before considering tummy tuck surgery. It may be worth the trade-off of scarring later on in your life. 

Liposuction will improve stomach with no scarring.

+1

Hi.

Just going by your picture, I think you don't need a tummy tuck. Well done liposuction (superficial and deep) with sub dermal tunneling will actually tighten the skin.

Choices

+1

The answer to your question is giong to come down to your personal choice once you have all the facts.

Liposuction will reduce the fatty layer of the abdomen but with stretch marks in the skin, retraction or tightening will be minimal. Liposuction will not address laxity of the muscle either. The advantage is minimal scarring.

Tummy tuck will allow for removal of damaged skin and tightening of the muscle but the trade is a low lying scar. A modified tummy tuck is certainly an option for you. This can be done without an incision around the belly button but would lower its position on the abdominal wall.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to review your options with you and help you make this decision.

Good luck

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.