What procedure would show better results, full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

Hello, I am 27 years old, 125 pounds, and 5'4 tall. I had a baby 5 years ago and lost 55 pounds. My skin is very thin and lose mostly around my belly button and lower abdomen. What would be the best procedure?

Full Vs Mini Tummy Tuck

+2
When sitting, I see that you have excess skin that goes almost from hip to hip.  This is a strong reason to do a full tummy tuck.

A "mini" is rarely done because so few patients are good candidates for it.  It's the about the same amount of work and expense, but the lack of dramatic results are usually not worth the shorter scar.  

Full or mini tuck

+2
Thanks for your question.  I am not a big fan of mini tummy tuck and will only do it under perfect circumstances. 
In your case, I would suggest a full tt. Doing so will allow the surgeon to aggressively contour your abdomen. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1
If you are not planning future pregnancies, I recommend Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement. Mesh reinforcement results in a hourglass figure, early satiety, weight loss and maintains the reduced weight. Since you have skin above the umbilicus, a mini tummy tuck would not be sufficient.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

What procedure would show better results, full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck?

+1
   Laxity around the belly button can really only be improved with a tummy tuck.  In your case, this can be performed with a short scar that can be, in some cases, half the length of a tummy tuck scar.

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your photos.  Given your history of weight loss and pregnancy and the extent of skin laxity, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck for you to achieve the best results.  Remember, as my colleagues have stated here, a mini-tummy tuck yields mini-results. Only a very small percentage of abdominal contouring patients are truly good candidates for a mini-tummy tuck.  I've included a video of my discussion about mini vs full tummy tuck for you.  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1
There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction and with or without abdominal muscle repair. They produce different degrees of improvement. Based on your sitting photo, you will get a better long lasting result with a full tummy tuck.

No matter which procedure that you decide to undergo, it is advisable that you should wait until you are finished having children.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and
ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1
To achieve the tightest abdomen--in your case- i would suggest having a full Tummy Tuck. Your excess skin will be gone, muscles tightened. Make sure to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with years of experience.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

+1
A full tummy tuck would help remove and flatten some of the excess skin you have above the navel as well as remove the excess skin if the lower abdomen.  Best og luck.  

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
A full tummy tuck.

A tummy tuck can be done as a solitary procedure. Many times the results are enhanced by adding liposuction to the hip and love handle area. A tummy tuck is also done in combination with a breast augmentation in a mommy makeover.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS