What is Best Procedure to Get Rid of Belly Fat?

My daughter is 18 and has lost 25 pounds with about another ten pounds to reach her goal of 157 and she is 5 ft 7 inches tall. She looks good but she has a belly and excess skin even with diet and excercise. It is really a knock to her self confidence and as much as I am not one for procedures I can see where she could truly benefit from one. We have been trying to research heat type of procedure would get rid of excess skin and fat at belly area and also lower thighs.

Excess Skin and Fat in 18 year old

+1

Excess skin and fat in an 18 year old can be dealt with a few ways.  First, the weight that is to be lost should be complete prior to considering surgery.   There are several options that should be discussed with your plastic surgeon after an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The Best Procedure to Get Rid of Belly Fat..

+1

The most important part of your daughter's process is diet and exercise.  I would first consult with your daughter's primary doctor to determine her ideal body weight.  Then have her continue to work very hard to reach that ideal weight.  Liposuction is not commonly performed on someone who is only 18 years, but if she reaches her ideal body weight and there is still some excess belly fat and skin, then Smartlipo would an excellent choice.  This form of laser liposuction removes excess fat and the laser helps to tighten the skin.  Since your daughter is young, the skin should still be able to contract.  I would avoid a tummy tuck at her young age.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

What is the best procedure to get rid of belly fat?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations to her for losing 25 pounds!  When patients consult me with this sort of history the first thing I do is to have an extensive discussion about her nutrition and her exercise program to see if any improvements can be made.  If she is doing everything possible but still has excessive fat then consideration could be given to liposuction.  Since she is 18  her skin should shrink nicely after the fat is removed. Significant fat removal can not be obtained by some of the more recently advertised procedures such as freezing the fat, externally applied ultrasound etc.  I would suggest obtaining a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to explore this matter further. Best of luck. 

Donald M. Brown, MD