What Procedure Options Do I Have for Neck Lines?

I am 51 and am bothered daily by the horizontal lines and laxity of my neck. I have a small jaw and weak chin as well. What is my best option and where would any surgical scars be? Thank you.

Botox Can Help Horizontal Neck Lines

+1

The Horizontal Neck Lines are caused by muscle attachments. Botox can be of help in some patients but Botox will not remove them entirely.

The weak chin and loose skin can be treated with a chin implant and neck lift. If you have excess loose skin, the neck lift may lessen the appearance, but not remove, the horizontal folds of skin overlying the neck lines.

Neck Lines: Nonsurgical and Surgical Options

+1

Skin loses collagen and firmness as we age. Nonsurgical options for neck lines due to skin laxity include Pelleve to tighten loose skin, which I offer to my patients in NY. Pelleve boosts collagen production and reduces appearance of wrinkles and lines, while contracting and tightening loose skin, improving theskin quality, firmness and tightness you can see and feel in your neck. Botox can also help in some cases, especially where neck bands are concerned

Being that you are now in your 50's, a photo or a proper examination would help. As a neck lift surgeon practicing in New York (Manhattan / Long Island), I may recommend a limited neck lift may be the right choice for you to improve the appearance of your neck to reduct sagging skin and tighten the overall appearance of your neck. I recommend seeing a specialist for a proper examination and treatment plan.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck lines

+1

There is no good treatment option for horizontal neck bands.  Botox can sometimes help and injectable fillers have a limited role

Sam Naficy, MD

Neck Lift Candidate?

+1

Without pictures or direct examination it is now possible to give you good advice. Consultation with several well experienced  board-certified plastic surgeons will be helpful.

Neck lines are difficult. neck lift could help and other options exist

+1

Neck lines are a difficult. Laser resurfacing could help improve them to a minimal degree but this has to be done carefully lest scarring could occur. Fat injections can improve some of these lines. Fillers are temporary and not very effective. Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Horizontal neck flexion creases/lines

+1

There is nothing that can be done about the horizontal neck flexion creases.  These are congenital and there is no surgery that can be performed on them to remove them.  The anterior platysmal cords are best treated with a platysmaplasty where the bands are sewn together with permanent sutures.  A small jaw and weak chin line are best treated with a chin augmentation procedure.  The chin augmentation material is composed of silastic and is inserted up through the submental incision and is placed directly over the bone to augment the chin in a projection as well as a small amount laterally.  

A chin implant and skin resection will leave the best result

+1

From a nonsurgical standpoint there are some procedures that could be done to make the horizontal lines less noticeable including Botox to relax the platysma muscle, as well as resurfacing techniques such as CO2 laser. Dermal filler can also fill in the horizontal lines. For a weak chin, injection of a long-lasting dermal fillers such as Artefill or Juveni can be done but chin implants are much more reliable. Speak with your surgeon about these different options

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Best Option for Neck Lines and Weak Chin

+1

Neck lines form due to the effects of age and gravity on the skin. The elastin in the dermis, or deeper layer of the skin, becomes weak and the skin of the face and neck begin to sag. Mild improvement of skin laxity in the face and neck can be obtained with Pelleve, Cutera Tita or Thermage treatments. However, much more significant improvement can be obtained with a facelift.  The facelift incisions are placed around the edges of the ears and extend into the scalp. The scars are generally well hidden in these areas. There are various types of face/necklifts available, and you can check with your surgeon to find out which option is best for you. Botox and fillers can be helpful for the neck lines as well.

Treatment of a weak chin can also improve the wrinkles on the neck. A chin implant will increase the projection of the chin, improve the jawline contour, and tighten the skin of the neck as well. The incisions for a chin implant can be placed inside the mouth over the chin area, or under the chin on the skin. If your jaw is also needs additional projection, then implants are available for the sides of the jaw also.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

What Procedure Options Do I Have for Neck Lines?  You have several options from the least invasie (and effective) to the most.

1. Botox injections to the neck creases and bands.
  2. Skin excision under the chin with a chin implant to stregthen the chin.
  3. 1 and 2 combined with a formal Neck Lift that has incisions withing the posterior hair and behind each ear within the crease.  This will tighten the neck bands and remove excess neck skin.  The horizontal creases will not change without Botox in any scenario.

Neck lift

+1

Although it is difficult to accurately evaluate your neck from this photo, it appears that, as you said, you have some skin laxity and coarse horizontal lines. In addition, it appears that you have platysmal banding in this photo. Although different treatments such as thread lifts, laser, botox or fillers have been proposed for some of the issues you are concerned with, to address and improve all, you would benefit from a neck lift. Incisions for a neck lift are typically made around the ears and/or below the chin (submental) and heal very well. These allow not only for redraping of the neck skin but also scultping to the deeper platysma muscle and/or fat which ultimately provides the most powerful reshaping of the neck and jaw line. With regard to your small lower jaw, options for addressing this would depend on several factors including the degree of the problem and the relationship between your upper and lower jaw (occlusal relationship).

Jamil Ahmad, MD