What Procedure Would Be Appropriate for my Neck?

I'm pretty young (19) but I've been noticing more recently that my neck appears rather fleshy, like the the neck line droops down too close to my chin. I'm pretty fit, so I think it's genetics - but I'm not sure if that's fat in my neck. I assume part of it is because I have a small chin, but I don't think I want to consider a chin implant as that seems more risky. Is there any possible neck liposuction or neck lift I could do? The former would seem more ideal for my age but I've no idea.

Young patients can benefit from necklifts, too

+2

Judging from your photos, your neck contour will likely need more than simple liposuction to get a truly feminine and elegant contour. I suspect your deep (subplatysmal) fat pad is a little fuller than normal. This fat pad is generally either present or not, and is "genetic" - ie, not something that comes and goes with body weight changes, and not a result of being overweight. Unlike subcutaneous fat just under the skin, this deep fat pad is fibrous, vascular, and firm, and is neither responsive to liposuction nor safe to liposuction.

To improve this contour effectively and over the long run, I would perform some judicious subcutaneous liposuction, then create a 1.5 inch incision in the crease under the chin to surgically remove the deep fat pad the tighten the surrounding muscle layer.  There would be no need for skin removal or incisions around the ears.

You can see two examples of necklifts on young women (under 30) on my website (you'll have to google my name as I can't post a link) under the before & after pictures tab.

Good luck!

Mike Nayak

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Surgery Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You may be a good candidate for liposuction of the neck. Consultation with several well experienced  board-certified plastic surgeons will be helpful.

Liposculpture, Ulthera, chin implant or dermal fillers may be an option

+1

Liposcupture to the neck, ulthera, chin implant or dermal fillers may be an option for you due to your age.  Liposculpture and dermal fillers are much less invasive than a chin implant if that is your concern.  Feel free to contact me for a consultation.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Weak chin and excess fat

+1

From the pictures it appears that you have a weak chin and some excess fat (I call it baby fat since you're only 19) under the chin.  Best results, IMHO would be achieved with a chin implant (placed through an incision under the chin, not through the mouth) and some micro-liposuction to remove the fat under the chin.  Of these two, the chin implant will be the most effective.

Tumescent liposuction with small cannulas will help your neck.

+1

At your age, there are probably some hereditary factors at work to cause lipodystrophy or double chin. Some fat may also be present under the platysma muscles, but that is not apparent from the photos. Limited small cannula liposuction is probably appropriate unless there is loose skin, which can be addressed with limited excision using a small submental incision.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

19 but want a nicer neck

+1

At your age, you should have great skin elasticity.  I'd have to examine you but likely a little bit of excess fat is what's reducing your neck definition.  I small amount of liposuction with an extremely small cannula would do the trick.  I'd recommend going to a plastic surgeon to have him/her examine you and see if you are a good candidate for surgery.  He/She will be able to help you form realistic expectations about what can be accomplished.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Neck lift versus liposuction

+1
Given your age as well as your photos, I would recommend a relativel simple procedure like liposuction. The skin in your age group (until about 35 to 40) tends to have good elasticity so that once fat is removed, you will have a nice result.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction

+1

Based on your pictures, you may be a candidate for neck liposuction. It is harder to determine from the pictures, but a small chin implant may help also.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Neck liposuction and fat injections for chin augmenation

+1

You need to be seen in person and have a consultation with an examination. The amount of fat underneath the skin is pinched betweeen the fingers to determine your candidacy for liposuction. In addition, the position of the hyoid cartilage of the neck (Adam's apple) is evaluated as this may be more forward and will interfere from obtaining the best cosmetic result. A more acute angle appears when the line of the side of the angle, specifically the jaw line, is more elongated and this occurs by peforming some chin augmenation. It is possible that enough fat may be removed from the neck that it can be used as a fat injection for chin volume. This is your product and you need not be concerned about having a foreign material for an implant.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction of the Neck

+1

It sure looks like liposuction of your neck would make a nice difference in your profile.  We typically do the surgery with a tiny single incision underneath the chin in the natural skin crease and use a very tiny cannula.  We perform the surgery in our fully accredited office OR either with local anesthesia or a "twilight" anesthesic.  The liposuction removes not only the small amount of fat that you have, but also tightens the skin, which usually results in a real nice difference.  The surgery is done as an outpatient, and typically takes an hour or less.  We usually like you to wear a velcro neck strap for the first 5-7 days to help with the skin tightening.  There will be some discomfort at first, but it is usually very well tolerated by most patients.  Neck liposuction can really make a difference.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon