Procedure to Improve Neck and Chin Area After Weight Loss?

I'm 40 years old that has had a horrible neck/chin line since my early 20s. I lost a lot of weight and still have this problem. From this picture, what would be the best option to get a more youthful neck/chin definition. Thanks!

Neck tightening

+2

Perry,

There may be several options for you to achieve a tighter neck, ranging from noninvasive to highly invasive. In general, the results will be more dramatic the more invasive you get. For example, an open neck lift will give you the most visible effect. But remember, the more invasive procedures will also be more costly monetarily and in terms of recovery, in general. It appears that you have pretty skin elasticity, so if you are under 50, don't smoke and are healthy, liposuction might give you a great result at a reasonable cost with minimal downtime. Good luck!

Neck and chin concerns

+1

After weight loss, there is certainly laxity in the neck region for most people. Only having one view is difficult to address things for yo. Also without an exam, it would be hard to tell. Sone things that are done can include: neck lift, playtsma plication, submental lisposuction, even chin augmentation to name a few.

Procedure to improve neck and chin area after weight loss?

+1

Dear Perry,

In the picture you are slightly cocking your neck forward. This is often done reflexively to reduce neck sag. A frontal picture would have been helpful. (Not having the beard would have answered lingering questions about the need for a chin implant for a "weak chin" or not).

From this single view, I THINK liposuction would really define the neck. It will remove some of the neck fat and restore the acute angle a youthful neck has. The resulting look may be all you need.

In the unlikely event that this procedure lands you only on second rather than your view of third base or home plate in neck cosmesis, only then I would recommend you consider a neck lift. The procedure tightens the thin neck muscles (platysma) by a variety of slightly differing techniques and the loose skin is undermined to the ears where it is removed leaving scars along the bottom half of the ears.

I hope this helped you.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS
www.TheBeautyDoctors.com

Well

+1

The beard didn't work, so now what?

The recommendation depends on why your neckline is obtuse rather than sculpted.

Generally the things that come into play are fat pads, skin laxity, weakened muscles, and occasionally, a forward trachea.

If your skin elasticity is good and the fat is small to moderate, liposuction may be all that is needed. Otherwise, a neck lift or perhaps lower face lift may be in order.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Procedure for tightening neck

+1

With weight loss in younger patients, the neck often sags.

While fat may contribute to the problem, there is usually a part of the problem that is due to looseness of the muscles.

In our practice, we use an interlacing procedure for the neck called the Neck-Lace, a form of corset platysmaplasty. This tightens the deep muscle layer and improves the profile of the patient.

A physical examination will tell how much of your problem is due to loose skin, loose muscle, or fat.

In most 40-year old patients, they don't need a facelift to treat the loose skin if a necklift would address the problem.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Procedure for facial rejuvenation following weight loss

+1

Although liposuction may be the least invasive technique for correction, patients with weight loss generally achieve better results with skin removal procedures such as a neck or face lift with possible chin implant (this is difficult to estimate due to your beard).