Which Procedure Will Give Me a Smaller Waist? Am I a good candidate for Avelar tummy tuck? (photo)

Am I a good candidate for Avelar tummy tuck? The surgeon I went to said he could Lipo more fat with the Avelar technique. He said with the standard full tummy tuck he could only lipo a little. I want my waist to be very tiny after so what would work best for me?

Getting a smaller waist

+2

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall during a tummy tuck are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Smaller Waist

+1

Based on your photograph and description, you seem to be a better candidate for liposuction. To verify, you will need an in person consultation and exam. To explore your options, consult in person with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Smallest waist after tummy tuck with mesh

+1

If you are not planning on having future pregnancies, the procedure that gives the smallest waist is the abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement.  This technique is shown to reduce weight and maintain the reduced weight.  The compression shortens the muscles increasing their strength and efficiency.  Patients often lose weight and seldom need liposuction.  However, liposuction can be done if additional waist reduction is desired.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs lipo

+1

It is very difficult to see clearly your body in your pictures, however in the picture where you are bent over there is minimal excess skin hanging.  For that reason I wonder if a tummy tuck is appropriate for you.  To be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, you want to have excess skin and fat that you can grab in your hands and pinch really well when you bend forward.  See our tummy tuck page for the picture to demonstrate this.

Since I do not see this in for picture I think a tummy tuck will give you a large scar and the benefit will not be worth it.  A liposuction of the love handles/sides will give you the most impressive waist reduction.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction versus tummy tuck

+1

Based solely on the photos you provided here it looks like you may be a better candidate for liposuction than you may think.

Though tummy tucks are meant to mainly remove excessive abdominal skin and some abdominal fat their main goal is the skin resection.  You would also get a bit of extra tightening with the muscle repair if you needed it. 

If you dont have a lot of excess skin (which is what your photos hint at) then you may only need some liposuction.

As to the waistline, liposuction of the flanks will accomplish your goal, where a tummy tuck or lipo of the abdomen may fall short.

Go and see a board certified plastic surgeon to find out all the facts before you choose.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Which Procedure Will Give Me a Smaller Waist?

+1

Based upon your photos you are a great candidate for either type of TT. Liposuction could be in more amounts with the avelar TT. But not much more in my opinion. Seek additional in person consult from boarded PSs in your area. 

Getting a smaller waist

+1

From your photos, it seems to me that the procedures which will give you the best result and smallest waist are abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) combined with hip roll (waist) liposuction.  You will have to wait 3-6 months to see the full result of the suctioning, but it will be worth the wait.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon