Which Procedure is Best for Saggy Breasts For a 22 Year Old? (photo)

I'm 22 years old and my breast sag and lay nearly flat on my chest. Bending to the front makes them look like cow utters and laying back they look deflated. I'm a 34C and I don't want to be bigger. I also heard that lifts take a long time to heal and can come undone. So my question is what is the best approach to take?

Breast ptosis in young women

+1
Mastopexies with or without placement of implants would like give you the best result. However, the mastopexies would require trading the droopiness for scars on your breast, and implants would make you fuller and likely larger breasted. Also, mastopexies may effect your ability to breast feed subsequently, so you would need to consider your future plans regarding having children and the look you desire.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

A breast lift sound like soemthing that may interest you. You do not want to be any larger and you don't like how they sag.  A lollipop lift limiting the incisions may be the right thing, but an exam is essential.

Saggy breasts with C cup volume

+1

Given that you don't want or need to be larger and your breasts are too low to augment anyway, your only option is a true lift of your breasts which can be done through a lollipop incision.  

It is important to understand what a lift (mastopexy) does and doesn't do contrary to some of the responses here. A true breast lift leaves the nipple-areola attached to the breast and remains functional but actually moves the breast up on the chest and gets it to heal in that position. Trying to suspend it with permanent sutures is a new approach and may well be unreliable long term. Procedures that try to lift the breast up with the skin are also prone to failure and recurrence. Procedures that move the nipple-areola up (periareolar mastopexy) are not true lifts. 

A true lift gathers all your breast volume up higher and does not add or subtract breast volume. The breast will look larger just as a bra does but it will not actually be bigger (or smaller). It's a myth that a lift "tightens" the breast or makes it perky. There is no forward projection to speak of and it does not specifically fill in the upper pole scallop but it does reposition, gather, and reshape the breast with the trade-off of the incisional scars. I would recommend a true lift alone and then reevaluate later for the need of an implant for pillow volume but don't do the two procedures at the same time. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Your best outcome will involve a lift...

+1

Hi there-

In order to achieve the best breast shape possible, you will require a lift of some kind. Whether or not to also place an implant would depend on your preferences for size, but also for shape.

An experienced surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery would be able to guide you in the decision making process, but please understand that without a more formal consultation and examination, it is not responsible to offer you a detailed treatment plan.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Ultimate Breast Lift a better option for sagging breasts

+1

Dear Elizabeth,

You are right. The standard techniques (anchor, le jour, short scar, lollipop) are all based on the skin envelope to provide support. And as all women know, this is simply not enough! A new technique was recently developed using engineering principles in conjunction with proven reconstructive techniques to provide longevity and upper pole fullness. Both of which are lacking in current techniques. Your existing tissue is remodeled into an internal 'brassiere' that is then attached to your chest muscles to fight the forces of gravity. Skin is no longer the only means of support. The Ultimate Breast Lift provides  firm, perky and natural appearing breasts with NO VERTICAL SCARS. Women finally have an alternative to the 1957 anchor based scar. It's worth looking into.

Gary Horndeski, MD

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Procedure for “Saggy” Breasts?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Which procedure would be “best” for you will be depend mostly on what your goals are. If your goals are to simply raise the breasts on the chest wall,  then breast lifting is indicated.  This procedure will also serve to remove loose skin and decrease the size of the nipple/areola complexes. 

If you wish to have more fullness/volume (or “re-inflate”)  then breast lifting as well as breast implants will be necessary.

Timing of the surgery should be a concern to you. Ideally the procedure is done when you have completed pregnancies (if planned) and when you are in a stable relationship ( psychosocial considerations).

Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do and the field of plastic surgery.

It may be in your best interest to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss options.

Breast Lift in 22 year Old

+1

A breast lift will raise the position of your nipples, make the areolas smaller if you desire, and shorten the fold of skin beneath your breast.  This can be done while leaving your cup size the same, smaller, or by use of an implant, slight fuller.

My opinion based on your photos is that you have enough breast tissue to get a reasonably full and rounded shape without an implant.  The surgery can be done through a lollipop or anchor-shaped scar and you must be willing to accept  this scar for your new and improved shape.

Hope this helps.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

+1

Based on the posted photos, I agree and recommend a "full breast lift". Best to be seen by a few boarded PSs in your area, in an in person evaluation. Best to you. 

Breast Lift

+1

I believe that you are a good candidate for a breast lift.  This will improve the shape of your breast without adding volume.  If you wanted to increase volume, a small implant could be added, but you would still need a lift.  There are some potential complications with lifts, but they rarely come "undone".  Sometimes, especially in smokers, there can be some wound separation, but this will usually heal.  If you have no problems with wound healing, the scars will usually heal in 3 to 6 months, but can take a year to fully fade in some people.  It really depends on your genetics.

Donald Griffin, MD

A breast lift should be discussed with your Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your goal of not wanting to be bigger is important and I am glad for this. You have tissue that has stretched at a young age so adding size and weight with a breast implant at the time of a breast lift is not advisable. You have enough breast tissue to look proportional ( as you already know when wearing a bra) but your shape is not optimal. A breast lift can create a more perky look, reduce the diameter of your areola and position the nipple and areala more in the middle of your breast.

As a young woman it is important to discuss the implications of a breast lift for you. This surgery does leave permanent scars, will require some maintenance surgery down the road, may affect your ability to breast feed in the future and may permanently change your breast sensitivity. With an open discussion about your goals and expectations, you and your Plastic Surgeon should be able to decide if a breast lift is right for you

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon