What Procedure Would Be Best for my Lips? (photo)

I am a 23 year old female who is interested in getting my lips done. I feel like i have a great lip shape when I apply pressure to my upper lip. (You can see in the pictures below what I am talking about) I feel its a shame that all that shape is actually covered up! I think botox may make me have duck lips.. would you suggest a lip lift? and how much would it be to fix this? I have also noticed it makes my nose look kind of large when I do this? Suggestions? Thanks !

Lip Augmentation

+1

Botox is not the best option.  Juvederm or restylane may be better options.  Restylane has now received FDA approval for lip augmentation.

Lip Implant consideration

+1

Thank you for submitting your question and photos.  While I agree with the responses of some of the plastic surgeons on this board regarding the use of dermal fillers, I do also want to recommend the option of a surgisil lip implant.  Unlike previously manufactured implants, the surgisil implant is made of a special silicone that does not allow for scar tissue to attach to it.  This makes the removal of the implant quite simple if you should decide that you don't like it.  The procedure is done in the office with local anesthesia to the lips.  We also provide you with some medications to aid in relaxation and relief of pain.  Two small inscisions are made in the inside corners of your mouth, where they can easily be hidden, and the lip implant is inserted into the lip.  The implants come in a variety of diameters and lengths so we can custom fit them to help achieve the look you are after. This may be something that you could considering looking into.  Good luck!

Tanya Aya Atagi, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Lip Augmentation

+1

Botox is actually a muscle relaxant that is used on facial muscles, usually between the brows, outside the eyes (crows feet) and in the forehead. It would not be used on the lips.

You may be a candidate for lip augmentation. If you are interested in natural looking results, consider Juvederm which is made of a natural compound found in your body called hyaluronic acid. This augments tissue and hydrates it as well, which may be ideal for the appearance in your upper lift that you want to achieve. 

It is recommended that initial injections are conservative. You can always add more later. 

Choose a board certified specialist with solid experience in lip augmentation. This individual would need to have a good eye, knowing how much of the injection to use in different regions of the lips in order to give the results that you want. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

A lip lift procedure will shorten the distance between the nasal sill and lip line.  I would probably not recommend it for a young person like yourself. You may be better off with fillers like Perlane or Juvederm.

Luscious Lips

+1

It appears from the photo that you are looking for a fuller upper lip. Hyaluronic acid fillers would be the safest way to get luscious full lips. The risks of the procedure are minimal and the effect can be tailored by adding more filler during serial treatments. If you do not like the result then the material will resorb over a period of several months. Surgical lip enhancement lasts longer but has greater risks and cannot easily be reversed. Try the hyaluronic acid fillers first.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Fillers are best for lip augmentation

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have several advantages over permanent lip treatments. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years. Touch up treatments can be modified to fit the changing face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

You may be a candidate for an Injectable Filler treatment for Lip Augmentation.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos:

In my practice, I prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent lip augmentation. You would likely require several treatments to obtain your desired result.

If you decide you want permanent lip augmentation, you should consult a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the serial puncture, microdroplet technique for administering liquid injectable silicone. When performed properly, Silikon-1000 may result in smooth, natural-looking, larger lips. In my practice, patient satisfaction is very high, and problems like bumps are infrequent (<1%)

I've attached a link to an interview I did for RealSelf regarding silicone lip injections.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Enhancement

+1

I think you might benefit from the "lip Lift" procedure.  This should only be done by a surgeon with signiifcant experience in performing this particular procedure.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+1

There are a couple of options you may want to consider: 1) fillers which are temporary, but will give you fullness in the upper lips and 2) lip implant which is more of a permanent solution but is reversible.  It appears that you want more redness of your upper lip showing.  If the upper lip length is too long, there are some other options to consider.  Please consult with a board certified surgeon who can best assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD