What Procedure Will Fix my Small, Saggy Breast Best? (photo)

I'm a 21 year old with small, sagging breasts. Ever since they started developing, I knew they weren't as firm as they should be. I like the idea of smaller breasts and like my size of 36B (36A would be just as fine), though I would prefer for my areolae to be much smaller. However, the sagging (combined with inexplicable stretch marks) serves as a constant blow to my self confidence. What procedure is recommended to correct my premature sagging but keep my size?

The options to consider when your breasts droop

+2

First of all, I must say that it is very refreshing to read your comments about not wanting your breasts to be enlarged - that is usually what people in your situation request, but is not usually the best option in the long term.

Your stretch marks have developed because when your breasts grew, they grew faster than your skin could cope with - this therefore led to the breaking down of collagen molecules (the building blocks of skin) which, when torn, result in thin areas of skin which appear as stretch marks - I hope that explains that!

With regard to the droop (or sag), this, in a way, goes hand in hand with the stretch marks - because your skin has lost its strength and has been weakened, it cannot support your breasts as well as some others, and therefore your breasts droop.

It follows that any operation that is going to give you a good long term result needs to lift your breasts and not make them any heavier (so avoiding an implant is best!).

A mastopexy (or breast lift) would be the best option for you. It would have several benefits:

It would lift your breasts

It would reduce the size of your areolae

It would allow a chance to even out the slight breast asymmetry you have

Your breast size would not reduce (your breasts would instead be tightened)

This would leave a scar around the areolae, as well as a scar down to the crease of your breasts. I do not think you need a further scar within the crease of the breast.

One thing you must be aware of - our skin and breast tissue does not improve with age and time...therefore, your breasts will develop a degree of droop again at some point in the future.

I hope this was of some help - good luck with whatever you choose to do!

London Plastic Surgeon

What Procedure Will Fix my Small, Saggy Breast Best

+1

If you are satisfied with your breast size, a mastopexy (breast lift) should give you a nice result. The incisions would most likely be around the areola and then a vertical line down to the breast.  If there is a size discrepancy that could be addressed by excising a small amount of tissue from, the larger breast. Best wishes.

Small Saggy Breast

+1

Your options include a pre pectoral breast augmentation with a silicon gel implant. There would not be much of a lift with this, but it would fill out your breast and 425ccs would work with this. The trade off is far less scarring. the alternative is a subpectoral breast augmentation with either an achor or lillipop set of scars. A saline implant filled to 425ccs would work. The decision is up to you and is based on your priorities and goals.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Breast Lift Procedure

+1

Since you are not interested in enlarging your breast size, a breast lift procedure should serve you well. A board-certified plastic surgeon can also likely reduce the size of the areola as well during a breast lift.  Consider your options carefully and talk to your doctor to make the right choice for you.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Young Sagging Breasts

+1

After reviewing your photograph I think the best procedure for you would be a skin only mastopexy or breast lift.  Remember that when this procedure is done it does not change the basic characteristics of your skin and you will probably have some drooping later in life.  A full mastopexy may be needed later after having children.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

What Procedure Will Fix my Small, Saggy Breast Best? (photo) ANS:

+1

I think you'll do best with some version of a lift, that we call a "skin only" mastopexy...That way you would keep your same size, get a bit of a lift, and not change the inside tissue of your breast so as to still be able to breast feed in the future if you choose....Later on, after kids, you might want a more aggressive lift with more tissue removed and maybe an implant!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Areolar reduction and lift

+1

Hi, based on this one picture you could be a candidate for an areolar reduction and minor lift, but this will come at the expense of scars around the areolas and maybe on the skin below it. please consult with a qualified plastic surgeon and review some before and after pictures to get an idea about breast lift scars. at your age you might not want to have this done as of yet.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Fix “Small, Saggy Breasts”?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Press lifting will be necessary to change the shape and position of the breasts as well as the nipple/areola complexes.

Breast lifting involves some degree of tightening of the breast skin envelope.  In order to tighten the skin envelope, skin excision is necessary;  this results in the presence of scars. 
Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without in-person consultation, I wonder if you will be better off postponing any surgery at this time given the pros/cons associated with surgical intervention.  give careful consideration to timing of any surgical intervention in relation to life circumstances ( such as your age, psychosocial situation, planned pregnancies…).

What Procedure Will Fix my Small, Saggy Breast Best?

+1

Thanks for posted photo. Very hard to advise due to your age. Being only 21 and doing a lift of some option (most likely L-shaped or full ewith areolar reduction) will cause a possible scarring event. Best to be seen in person to have an examination and discussion. 

Best breast procedure for patient with small saggy breasts

+1

You  could benefit nicely from a variant of the vertical breast lift in which the internal structure is anchored and rearranged to provide more upper pole fullness.  The tradeoff, of course, is the scar.  Most people will accept the scar in return for a beautiful breast shape.  If you have ever had previous surgery, this may give you some idea how your body will heal a surgical incision.  With the proper technique it is possible to reduce the size of the areolae so that they are proportionate to the breasts.  I am not aware of a good solution to stretch marks.

John Q. Cook, MD