What Procedure Would I Need To Fill In My Cupid's Bow?

I have a cupid's bow and I think having a rounded upper lip without a cupid's bow would suit my face better. What plastic surgery/ injectible procedure would I need to accomplish this? I don't necessarily want to PLUMP my lips, I just want to change the shape of my upper lips border so it is rounded out. An example of what I'm talking about is the model Gemma Wards lips, she has no cupids bow.

The Cupid's Bow in Lip Augmentation

+2

Hello, I would suggest that you think over your choice to remove the Cupid's Bow shape to your upper lip.  The Cupid's Bow provides a favorable aesthetic appearance to the upper lip, and is sought after by many patients who seek lip augmentation.  Effacing the Cupid's Bow, and "rounding" the upper lip will give it a more "artificial" or "done" appearance.  That being said, as the patient you have the right to your own aesthetics.  If you choose to do this, free fat transfer will provide a lasting means to achieve your goals.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing lip shape

+2

I would think many times about rounding this area but it can be altered through various means. I would though suggest a short acting filler so if you didn't like it it would not be permanent. Many times I inject a local anesthetic into areas such as lips, cheek or nose, chin to simulate what it would look like if altered which helps the patient visualize it better.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lip implants can round off the cupids bow permanently.

+2

Lip implants can round out the cupid's bow easily and permanently and is reversible under local anesthesia.  It takes about 20 minutes in office for about 1500-2000.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cupids bow

+2

I have never seen a good cupid's bow created bu surgery or filler.

You have a very good upper lip.

LEAVE IT ALONE

Cupid's bow

+2

The cupid's bow is a natural landmark for the upper lip and would not recommend "messing with it."

Use temporary fillers to revise Cupid's Bow of the upper lip before having revision surgery

+1

Use temporary fillers to revise Cupid's Bow of the upper lip before having revision surgery. If the results are not pleasing they are easily reversed.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm works best

+1

I would suggest using Juvederm Ultra Plus to fill in your upper lip.  The product is soft, contains lidocaine to reduce the pain of injection, and has lasted for up to two years in my patients.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Changing the Natural Cupid's Bow Shape of the Upper Lip

+1

Hi Cogey,

Lip enhancement is typically performed with hyaluronic acid (Restylane or Juvederm) or fat injections to augment and reshape the lips. Typically, the cupid's bow shape of the upper lip is lost from the natural aging process. Non-surgical lip injections help restore this desirable shape to the upper lip, in addition to adding volume.

Most plastic surgeons would avoid removing or reducing the cupid's bow shape. However, if you choose to reduce it, then temporary fillers with hyaluronic acid may be an option. Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a specialist can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler can be used to change the shape of the lips

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm work beautifully to plump up lips and can change the shape of the lip too.  The photo you submitted shows such a case.  Of course it is a matter of personal opinion, but the photo on the right looks unnatural because the cupids bow is obliterated.  So while it is possible to achieve this look, it is not typically what is done.  We prefer to do things that give natural appearing results.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Fill in cupids bow

+1

The cupid's bow is a delicate upper lip anatomic feauture that is full and prominent in youth.  With aging, the lips loose volume and the prominent white roll becomes less defined.  To maintain a natural look, it is not advisable to diminish, distort, or abolish this anatomic feature.  Depending on your lip anatomy, a filler such as juvederm or restylane may create subtle changes in the anatomy.  As you know, Gemma Ward began her modeling career at age 14.  This is a time when most people have full lips.  Her cupid's bow is still present, but it is voluminous.  This could be achieved with a filler to the area (juvederm, restylane).  But what is critical with lip augmentation is to avoid the "over-done" look.  Subtle changes are usually the best.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD