Procedure with Doctor I Have Never Met....?

I had my laser lipo consultation with a doctor I felt really comfortable with and decided to go for it. Since he was so booked I had to schedule my appointment two months in advance. Now I just found out that a different doctor who I have never met will be performing the procedure. I already put my deposit down and they told me if want to cancel, they will charge a fee. Should I just go for it and hope for the best?

Procedure with Doctor I Have Never Met..

+2

What you write sounds very unbelievable. You have a "patient's bill of rights" and I would contact the State Board of Medicine in the state you reside to file a compliant. Next I would request in writing a full refund notifying this "center" that you will proceed with a filing of a compliant. Final you might seek legal representation to guide you in this matter. You have the right to chose your surgeon, meet your surgeon, understand the surgical plan. Please inform us of this outcome and I would like to know the name of the center and your state. 

Don't Advise Having Procedure with Dr. You Never Met

+1

Thank you for your question. Schedule a meeting with the doctor, and evaluate him/her. If they are a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, then you know they have adequate training. If they are not, it is a roll of the dice. I hope this helps

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Procedure with Doctor Who Have Not Met!

+1

Wow! This is Ridiculous! No you should not go for it and hope for the best.  You should ask to have a consultation with the different doctor that you have been switched to.  See if you are comfortable with this doctor.  There should be a rapport between the doctor and patients. Also ask to see results of his or her work and make sure he is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon.  This kind of thing happens frequently in liposuction chain type of clinics.  The clinic is run like a factory with no regard to patient safety and needs.  The doctors in these clinics are generally not plastic surgeons and have little training other than weekend classes in liposuction. 

Stanley Castor, MD

Your comfort is of the utmost priority

+1
It's unfortunate that the doctor you felt really comfortable with can no longer perform your surgery. The security you feel from knowing you've chosen a surgeon that you feel comfortable with is important - in fact, it's often the most important factor for many of my patients.  Would it be possible for you to meet the new doctor in advance of your surgery? Even just a few minutes may allow you to re-establish that comfort you had with your original surgeon. Surgery is a serious decision to make, so it's probably better if you go forward with a positive mindset.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Meet your surgeon before you have surgery

+1
You should not just do the surgery and "hope for the best". It is too important to trust it to luck. Most great surgeons are not doing contract work where someone else does the sale and tells them what to do when the day of surgery arrives. Explore your options for recovering your deposit. Even if you can't, find another option you can trust.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

This is unconscionable. You need out!

+1

This is something that I am certain can't be done.  If the surgeon changes, then you can change.  Take some time to speak with the office manager and, if necessary, get your credit card company involved if the deposit was put down on a credit card.  This is not the type of behavior that makes for a good relationship and a good thing that you found out now rather than the day of the surgery.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

The Laser Liposuction chain mills are known for you never knowing who will actually be doing your liposuction.

+1

The laser liposuction chains are known in our community for treating patients like a mill running them through and not knowing who will actually be doing your liposuction procedure or their qualifications. Laser lipos are getting cheaper and cheaper because of less than ideal results and are popular because of the extensive marketing techniques. Beware of any chain lipo center. They are becoming like the chain of facelift mills you see advertised everywhere on TV who have more than their share of disasterous results. You want personalized attention and a great lipo doc who has experience and will be there for you the whole way through holding your hand every step of the way. This does not come cheap though. Don't look for bargain basement pricing when it comes to your cosmetic surgery. Most liposuction surgeries are going to run $5-6,000 on special. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and a doctor that you never met

+1

BEWARE!!! How can you have a asurgeon operate on you without ever meeting him. It does not make sense to me. How do you know his qualifications, what type of procedure you are going to have, how well he does the surgery, etc..