Procedure to Decrease the Nose Size?

The tip of my nose is very wide and undefined; the bridge of my nose is also very long and from the side it looks as though it protrudes out from the side of my face. I would like to make the overall appearance of my nose smaller and proportional to my face. What type of procedure will I need?

Rhinoplasty to decrease size of nose

I think that you have a good idea of what you do not like about your nose. All of these issues can be addressed with a rhinoplasty. Once you have identified a surgeon with whom you are comfortable, they will be able to demonstrate to you the changes that you desire for your nose and correct the issues that seem to bother you the most. I think you have every opportunity to have a wonderful surgical result.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty To Decrease Nose Size

A rhinoplasty can refine your tip by reshaping the cartilage. It can also adjust soft tissue if necessary.

Various procedures to decrease size of nose

There is a procedure to decrease the nose size. The tip of the nose can be narrowed significantly through dome suturing techniques and removal of some of the tip cartilage. This will give more definition and refinement to the tip of the nose. The total tip projection can be decreased to make the nose more proportional to the face. This is all done through closed rhinoplasty techniques where there is no external incision.

Complex rhinoplasty requires multiple steps

In order to provide you with results that will be proportionate to your face and ears, the nose will require several different manipulations during the rhinoplasty. You point out that your tip is not well-defined and this is something that will be improved by manipulating the cartilages at the tip of the nose.

From this photograph your nose also looks wide and this will need to be improved by narrowing the lower part of your nose around the nostrils. The length of your nose can be additionally manipulated but you will also likely require some attention to the thickness of the skin of your nose which will involve something called defatting. This photo does not show the upper portion of the nose it is important to keep in mind that when you manipulate one portion of the nose it can have an effect on the appearance of the rest of your nose. You will likely need some manipulation of the dorsum and possibly bridge of your nose in order that it match the newly sculpted lower portion of your nose.

I recommend you seeing somebody who has a good experience and comfort level with rhinoplasty and aesthetic surgery. There are many such people in Chicago, and my recommendation would be a plastic surgeon named Dr. Julius Few who certainly would take very good care of you.

Rhinoplasty could reduce nasal size

A rhinoplasty could be done to reduce nasal size where necessary and improve shape and definition. Get consultations from experienced surgeons who should provide pictures of results in patients with similar noses.   

See a rhinoplasty specialist

You are correct in what bothers you that could be refined. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and let him examine your nose and tell you what would be best. Make sure you like his work.

Rhinoplasty to decrease nose size

You would need rhinoplasty with tip refinement. I would really need to examine you to determine the best options for surgery, as it is difficult to make an accurate diagnosis based on the photo alone. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty is about nasal tip and dorsum balance

You have a very difficult nasal problem which is not confined to your nasal tip alone. You also have thick nasal skin and wide nasal alar rims. You would benefit from an open approach to your nose to optimally address your nasal tip to refine it using your own cartilage and defatting the nasal tip as well. This will require significant expertise and experience so you need to research your rhinoplasty surgeon well

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

The surgical procedure depends on an assesment of your aesthetic goals as well as your anatomy. Achieving a smaller tip may ironically require addition of cartilage to the tip of the nose. Meet with at least two surgeons to discuss your options for management

I think that I may have answered this question already. First, your photo looks a bit distorted. You seem to have very thick skin. This may affect the final result. Without seeing more views it may be difficult to offer you advice, but the tip can definitely be softened a bit.