Fat Grafting or Implants for Cheek, Chin and Jawline Enhancement?

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Fat grafting vs implant for facial enhancement

A cheek or chin implant composed of silastic plastic is the best choice for cheek and chin augmentation, and jawline enhancement.  The implants are made of silastic and they are a bony augmentation.  The chin implant is inserted through a submental incision while the cheek implant is inserted through an intraoral incision above the upper teeth.  They are tapered so that patients cannot feel them.  Fat grafting leads to irregularities, lumps, and inconsistent results.  

Fat grafting to the cheeks, chin and jawline

Fat grafts can be used to enhance the cheeks, chin and jawline.  These areas can also be enhanced with implants or by cutting and repositioning the underlying bones (mandible and zygoma).  Each option carries its own advantages and disadvantages.  Ones individual anatomy may also help determine which option may work best.  A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to evaluate your situation and give you an idea of which option would be best for you.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting or Implant for cheek, jaw and chin

Either fat grafting or implants can be used to improve the projection of the cheek, chin and jaw. For the chin I definitely lean toward an implant (or sliding genioplasty) as the result is more consistent. The implants are designed to improve the prejowl region (in most cases) as well.

For the cheeks I prefer fat grafting overall, though this does depend on patient age, how much projection is needed and how much fat a patient has to donate. The fat is carefully placed in a mult-dimensional fashion to create a natural, balanced result.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat grafting aka fat injections for facial sculpting and volume and rejuvenation

Fat cells can be grafted from another part of your body such as the lower abdomen, buttock or outer thigh with concurrent liposuction in these areas or by syringe removal if liposuction is not being done.  The fat cells are processed and then transferred to the desired areas such as the cheeks to increase volume which is lost over time and causes the lower face to fall.  In addition, rather than getting a chin implant, fat grafts can augment the chin if your chin is receded and causes a less than optimal angle of the neck on profile.  The jaw line can be straightened and rejuvenated to smoothen out the prejowl sulcus and the angle of the jaw in the back of the cheek.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat Grafting or Implants for Facial Augmentation. Fat augmentation is an excellent technique that

Fat augmentation is an excellent technique that I've been doing for over 20 years. However , in a young patient  I prefer the use of implants to improve cheek, chin, and jaw projection and contour.

Fat grafting of the face is one of the most exciting and successful techniques available today

Not only can fat grafting increase or restore volume to the face, there is the added benefit of stem cell transfer that seems to add to the volume but also to the quality of the tissue including the skin. Fat grating to the face has been done successfully for years but requires a expertise that is only gained with time an experience. young plastic surgeons should limit their fat grafting to areas that are most forgiving. However some of the more recent areas of grafting such as the check, the eye brow and the temple have been increasingly beneficial and exciting. Make sure that the plastic surgeon has a good deal of experience with fat grafting and ask to see before and after photos. The bad results can be quite distressing. The good results are rejuvenating and seem to be long lasting or permanent. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Fat Grafting or Implants for facial enhancement

For congenital problems where the facial bones are not developed, implants work very well. However, if the problem is aging or lack of soft tissue fill, then the best solution is fat grafting. Both require extensive expertise. See a Plastic Surgeon who has significant experience in both.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Cheeck and jawline enhancement

For multiple area enhancemnt, cheeck, jaw line and chin I prefer fat transfer. Implanta are possible but need maintainance.

Fat grafting require extreme expertise, Go slowly even if you have to do the fat fraft more than once.

Fat graft is technique dependant  fat has to be harvested gently, so that the fat cells are alive, and minimal trauma to the fat cells. the fat transfer has to be in small aloquets precisely inserted and layered in different planes.

Fat grafting for chin and jaw augmentation may not be the best alternative.

The problem with fat grafting is that it is not as reliable as implant placement. It can be accomplished often with multiple procedures and with persistence.

Although I do fat grafting frequently and I am a firm proponent of this technique, it may not be your best option.

Although it is not as exotic and new, a standard chin implant or a sliding genioplasty may still be the best option for you. These are tried and tested techniques that accomplish predictable results.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon