What Procedure is Better Body Lift or Mommy Lift?

In 2005 I had lap duodenal switch. Ans lost and kept off 200lbs for 7yrs but still feeling self conious about my weight I still feel fat. Most of all because of the handing skin. I'm 32 and I just want a lifestyle where I can feel confident about myself. I know the skinny person is on the outside now its just that I feel the fat chubby girl that was once there is holding on when I look in the mirror at my body I feel like shallow Hal I'm tired of just having a beautiful face.

Body Lift or Mommy Lift?

+2

You would have to define these operation for me to answer, and you would have to specifically tell me what areas are on your list for improvement.

These are not names of operations but general terms without real specific definitions that all surgeons would agree upon.

• A mommy makeover usually applies to a procedure on the abdomen and breast. It could be tummy tuck, mini-TT or liposuction for the abdomen. It could be some combination of breast enlargement and/or lift for the breast.
  • A body lift generally refers to a procedure that looks in the front like a tummy tuck, and continues all around the back reduce the love handles and the excess back skin, and to lift the buttocks somewhat. 

Best way to sort out your options is with an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Body contouring after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  The areas that you wish to improve will help determine which procedures are best for you.  So a physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Given your 200lb weight loss, I will assume that you would likely benefit from a circumferential body lift the most.  

Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation). Again,  s physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Surgery after Massive Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your accomplishment.  Your question is one that confronts many patients after significant weight loss.  Which procedure is right for me?  A body lift will not address the breasts and the "mommy makeover" will not correct any excess skin of the posterior flanks or back.  My suggestion is to rank order the areas that concern you the most.  With the assistance of a board certified plastic surgeon you will be able to come up with a safe plan to address your concerns.

Bernard Kopchinski, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and being able to keep it off.  Many patients like you are candidates for tummy tuck and breast surgery (Mommy Makeover), and possibly a lower body lift as well.  A consultation with a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery can help you decide which procedures are best for you.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring surgery after significant weight loss

+1

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a mommy lift. Mommy makeover is a term used to describe breast and torso body contouring surgery after pregnancy. It can include breast lift, breast augmentation, abdominoplasty etc. You describe a 200 pound weight loss so you would need body contouring surgery after massive weight loss. That could involve an extended abdominoplasty where the skin excision is extended onto the back or a belt lipectomy where a 360 degree segment of skin and fat is removed all the way around the torso. Without photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to say what your best option is.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD