Problems with Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty

I had Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty done about 4 weeks ago. There was some healing, but it seems to have slowed. The scars above my eyes still hurt sometimes and are still quite swollen, but I can live with this. It is my lower eyelids that are bothering me. My left eye lid has a lump on it, scar tissue I think, and my right eye has retraction and droops. Both eyes still look very red and I look pretty bad still.

My surgeon had advised massage for the retraction. Will this work? What can I do at this point to improve my post-op condition?

Need more time and lid massage

+2

Place attention now to massage of your lower eyelids and protection of your eye itself. If you have any dryness of your eyes then be sure to use some form of artificial tears. Daily routine massaging of the lower lids and stretching of the lateral lower eyelid can be very beneficial in the early recovery period. One thing to remember that scar contraction is a normal early phase of healing. I would imaging that unless your condition is severe most of your pulling down of the lid will resolve in 6 - 10 weeks. Keep in contact with your surgeon and keep him informed of any changes.

Healing is not finished in 4 weeks - listen to your doctor

+2

It can take up to 3+ months for everything to settle down post blepharoplasty. Do not be impatient. Listen to your doctor and follow his instructions. Do not look for a quick fix. Everyone heals at a different rate.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Massage for reduction of lower eyelid scar tissue

+1

The massage advised by your surgeon for the reduction of lower eyelid scar tissue and retraction will certainly help. To improve your post-operative condition, I would advise that you also support the lower eyelid that is retracted, with special surgical tape, known as “steri-strips”. These steri-strips will help support the lower eyelid, so that it may heal in that desired position.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty problems at 4 weeks

+1

The problems that you describe at 4 weeks are not uncommon at this early stage. Masage as your doctor recommends is the most important treatment. By 6 weeks I ex[pect that you will be much better.

If after 6 months you still have retraction or downward pull of the lower eyelid it can be corrected with a canthopexy or canthoplasty by an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Be patient

+1

It takes approximately eight to twelve weeks to heal after upper and lower blepharoplasty. The incisions on the upper lids tend to remain red and lumpy-bumpy for the first eight weeks after the surgery. The white sclera or the white part of the eye can sometimes continue to be red or swollen for a period of time after the blepharoplasty. Any lumps on the lid should settle down and go away if the surgery has been done appropriately. There is nothing else to do to improve your postoperative condition other than to be patient.

Work closely with your surgeon

+1

Stella,

It is hard to give specific advice without a picture and/or seeing you in person. It sounds like you are having some trouble, however. Oftentimes, they eyes take awhile to heal. However, if you are having retraction of the lid, then you may need some intervention beyond just massage. This could include injection of steroids or possibly another surgery. However, you really should work closely with your surgeon and he/she should be able to help you out.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Keep on

+1

The redness, thickness, raised edges of the scars are usually a normal part of healing. The retraction can be reversed in most cases with massage and time. Keep in contact with your doctor, and try to be patient- this may take many weeks to resolve.\

Another thing you might want to enquire about is steristrips. I will usually use seristrips to suspend the lid until the muscles start to work again. You can get the strips from your doctor, if he thinks it would be useful in your case.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Nothing abnormal

+1

People heal at different rates. You are like everyone else, but you are healing slower than some.

The massage of the lower eyelids is exactly what I suggest for my own patients. For the bump, you can return to your doctor and see if he wants to use a small injection of steroid to help the bump go away faster. Some doctors shy away from steroids.

Robert M. Freund, MD